6BRA seating die

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Alex Wheeler, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

2. Mudder

Mudder Silver $$ Contributor

These are great dies that I use on most of my rifles now. Pre-ordered the BRA last week after you gave me the heads up.

Thanks for being on this Alex!
    Wade

3. madmixerman

madmixerman Gold $$ Contributor

I use a Sinclair Wilson click seater on my 6bra. It is a Dasher seater , produces very concentric ammo.

4. Alex Wheeler

Yes, dasher dies work great too.

5. PA Jeep

PA Jeep

Thank for the FYI. I just ordered one.

6. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Well that sucks. I ordered a Dasher die in the old style, and then they come out with this!!

7. rhovee

rhovee

Dasher ones have been available for a while.

8. JMayo

JMayo

I bought the non micro, had it customised then added the micro (nonclick) to it for my bra 2.5 yrs ago.

Just got one for a 30 cal. The ones made to adjust are sweet. I didn't know the difference.

9. longtrapshootn

longtrapshootn

good news, thanks for the info.

10. 6brbb

6brbb

What is a great press to use this type of die with?

11. GlennK

GlennK Gold $$ Contributor

Any arbor press...k and m, 21 century etc..

12. InTraining

InTraining

Thanks Glenn, must spend more money to keep up!

GlennK and simo hayha like this.
  13. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

ditto!!!:cool:

14. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Website shows them available now!

Question for Alex and other highly experienced loaders: I see that this die is similar to the RCBS Gold Medal Match dies I have, but a bit more pricey. What, if any, measurable difference is there in performance between this highly respected die maker and the GMM dies?

For instance, any change in neck tension during seating will result in changes in seating depth on all my dies. Will this one be different?

Of course this brings up the bigger question, that of neck tension consistency and how to get it. I do spend time on brass prep and I do anneal often, but also find unexplained seating pressure inconsistency, which does not seem to correlate with grouping. For instance, I will mark a loaded case with "neck tension" to identify it as not being the same and it'll still shoot into the group, but then my groups tend to be in the two's and three's, so maybe I'm just not shooting well enough to see the difference neck tension will make.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

pat fulghum likes this.
  15. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Hm, I have the Dasher version of this die for my 6BRA (Alex’s reamer design).

I assume the difference in seating performance is negligible(?).

What loaded neck dia can it handle?

David

16. Alex Wheeler

The chamber type seating dies take the press linkage out of the equation. But with a good press and good technique you can load equally good ammo with either style die. The reason I like the wilson style seaters is you can feel or measure seating force and they are convenient to take to the range. You will still get different seating depths if you have large variations in seating force. I know others have different results but every time I test it, seating force doesnt show on target. Other variables do, but not seating force directly.

Texas10 likes this.
  17. Alex Wheeler

If you have a dasher die, keep using it. The neck and base diameters in the dies will be the same, so they will work the same.

dgeesaman likes this.
  18. cdngary

cdngary Silver $$ Contributor

Alex, are you saying here that a 'eg' 323 bushing won't show any diff. on target then a 325 bushing?

19. Alex Wheeler

No, bushings definitely show on target. Seating force is a measure of the friction when seating a bullet. That number on the dial is not what should be chased. You can do a lot of different things to the inside of a neck and change seating force drastically, while not changing neck tension. For example, one type of lube vs a different type of lube may both have the same seating force, but one may shoot and the other may not. Two different bushings may have very similar seating force and one will out shoot the other, you may even go smaller on a bushing and use a lube, now you have more neck tension and less seating force. On target testing matters, accuracy doesnt follow that number. I recently tuned up a rifle and have been testing many different neck preps. One of the many test I shot was annealed vs un annealed. Necks were brushed only. The unannealed cases had been shooting well but seating force all over. Those 2 groups printed right next to each other at 1008 yds, and combined held 1.7" vertical. Thats a group that seated at 39-41lbs and one that seated a 55-95lbs. No difference on target. This has repeated with every neck prep and lube I have tried, except one that just does not shoot. Point being, that number on the dial is not tied to what you see on target.

Evan, J Fogg, Boatschool02 and 4 others like this.