6BRA Neck Tension

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Curious, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Curious

Curious

Guys,

I haven't came across this subject of neck tension being discussed with regard to the 6BRA?

I often wonder if optimum neck tension is an individual thing or whether there are any real benefits from moving either side of a nominal figure, say 0.002"?

skiper likes this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Yes to both:
    It is an individual thing, and even individually of barrels.
    Moving .002" can be a substantial change.
    Donovan

dogdude, Northridge and R.Morehouse like this.
  3. Curious

Curious

Sorry I meant 0.002" being the nominal figure for neck tension rather than a 0.002" change.

Ive ran stuff with 0.0005" up to 0.004" over the years and I know some PPC shooters feel certain powders like N133 prefer more neck tension than less, I just wondered if there had been much if anything done on the 6BRA so far?

H4895 seems to be the preferred powder, is there maybe a preferred neck tension to go with it?

4. Northridge

Northridge

Curious, like other cartridges my best advise would be let your rifle and your paper decide what is best for a given reloading sequence. the slightest difference man to man can change what would be best for your given set up is my finding.

ShwanWilliams

dmoran likes this.
  5. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Like the dasher or BR. Powder type seems to play a role. Varget was the only powder I used light NT with. The other options were .003-.004. Youd be better off asking a target than me though.

CaptainMal and Curious like this.