6BRA load data

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Alex Wheeler, May 6, 2018.

1. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

No worries Norm, as fun as it would be to shoot a 6mm i'm sticking with the ole .308 in FTR!........;):D:cool:

Rope2horns likes this.
  2. nwmspatriot

nwmspatriot

I first heard about the 6bra a couple weeks ago. I would like to know more. Everyone says google it and google tells me nothing. Tell me different barrel makers, how to get brass etc. I’ve got a savage 65 cm I would possible rebarrel. Thx

3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Do your search right here. It has been well gone over a lot. A ton of info. to go through. It is a 6BR fire formed to a 40* shoulder. You use Lapua 6BR brass and go from there.........Have fun with it.

Regards
    Rick

gunsandgunsmithing and dedeadeye like this.
  4. nwmspatriot

nwmspatriot

Much thx

5. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

Records are falling. That wiil ALWAYS generate interest.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

This looks like a pretty good fire forming load for me. Maybe one that I could actually shoot in a match

30.0g Varget, 105 Hybrid, Rem 7 1/2 primer, 0.010 jam

[​IMG]

7. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

200 yards? Either way, nice target. Mine fire formed very well also!

8. PMA3

PMA3 Gold $$ Contributor

Has anyone tried N540 with the 103-105 class bullets?

9. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

I see people shooting a 6BROS [Old School]load in there new 6BRAI, why would anyone be satisfied with the same velocity as a OS in a AI ? The reason I am tuning a AI is trying to find the advantages and beat the wind a little.
    Don

10. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

Are you referring to the above group? That is for fire forming to the 40 degree shoulder. You cant get the velocity or much more powder in there before hitting pressure, while fire forming. They are definitely accurate while forming. Though afterwards they usually can hit dasher speeds without issue.

11. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Don,
    Speed is/was never any concern of mine. Accuracy is all I am concerned with. The fact the BRA runs the dasher node is just a little bonus. All cartridges have a sweet spot for accuracy. Theres many things you can do if speed is you main concern. I have been down the bore rider throat path and theres a reason my BRA reamers dont have one. There are powders like IMR 4166 for example that @tom ran up to just under 3200 fps in a 28" Krieger BRA without pressure signs, but again it didnt get us closer to the goal of accuracy. Of all the powders you could run in a BRA H4895 is on the faster side, but in MOST barrels the accuracy is exceptional. Benchrest is about small groups and agging well, not speed. I dont know what a 6bros is, but I hope its the next best thing because that will mean groups will shrink, and thats what we are after!

T 700, dedeadeye, Rope2horns and 3 others like this.
  12. Alex Wheeler

Aside from IMR 4166, IMR 4320 is another speed powder in the BR case.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. dedeadeye

dedeadeye Gold $$ Contributor

Alex, the other day while testing I easily reached 3050 FPS with 32.54 gr of RL-15 with absolutely no hard bolt lift. When Chuck (aka Chuckhunter) plugged all the numbers in our Quick loads program psi was at 62720. This little case will give you whatever. Test test test. This is what reloading is about anyway.
    Roger

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    dogdude, R.Morehouse and Alex Wheeler like this.
  14. Willow

Willow

RL15 is my powder of choice, with H4895 as the alternate - both shoot exceptionally well. 30.4gr of RL15 behind a 103gr Copperhead bullet is yielding me an average speed of 2967fps out of a 30" Kreiger. No pressure issues whatsoever with this load.

15. Alex Wheeler

I was sent this group from 1k tuning this am. 1.0xx" at 1k. Thats why I like the BRA. :)
    bra.jpg

16. johnnyi

johnnyi Gold $$ Contributor

Lots of vertical..! ;) ha j/k... amazing what that little 6mm will do at 1000.

17. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Alex isn’t too computer savvy to rotate the image but he sure does know his rifles.... No vertical now. :cool::D

BD47E9B7-D42C-4708-9EEE-4CA53C234C6B.jpeg

18. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

Nice!!!!!.......;):cool:

19. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Come on Alex, how about some data, so we can all shoot like that? ']

20. Alex Wheeler

Its not my load data to give out. But I will say its just H4895 and 103 vapor trails. Toms never been secretive so if you ask him Im sure he will help, but I doubt he will post it for the whole world anymore. Its nothing really special its just the right load for that barrel. Following other's load data has caused as many problems as its helped, imo. A note on H4895, when you have a good lot of it, I dont think it can be beat. But when you get a bad lot it can shoot pretty terrible. It has terrible lot to lot variations, just keep that in mind when working with it.