6BRA Ladder Test with/wo Tuner

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by BartsBullets, Jan 25, 2018.

1. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like they really bumped the velocity also.... Looks like the BRA load is STILL 31.11 lol.

Tom

BartsBullets likes this.
  2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Ya, I used to use them in the dasher. Need good firing pin energy to run them. Stock Bats are on the edge. They usually tested out better than most. I still have a bunch.

BartsBullets likes this.
  3. Trevor60

Trevor60

Thanks for coming back to the thread and your continued testing.

Interesting results with the new primers they brought, up your speed by 40fps. when comparing the two test groups everything comes together around 3,000, 31.2 with the wolf and 31.6 with the Fed. 30.8 under the fed FPS 2941 vs the wolf 30.8 coming in at 2960.

Trevor

4. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

I need to go back and chronograph the loads with Federal primers and wolfs at the same time. The increased velocity could have more to do with 20 degree testing with the Federals vs 56 degrees with the wolfs.

Reguardless the gun Shot pretty decent over a 40 foot spread and impacted/printed virtual in the same spot.

Bart

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  5. Alex Wheeler

Were those groups with or without the tuner?

BartsBullets likes this.
  6. Trevor60

Trevor60

3,000fps appears to be the velocity that tightens up the group. excluding the other factors. temp, primer and even power charge.

under different conditions and using different components when you reached a velocity of 3,000 you have consistently shot one hole groups.

- it appears the new primers have given you a larger window, this is something you didn't have in the earlier test at the same speed. if we consider environmental conditions in addition to the primers as the reasons for the larger window that would be something not documented in recent memory. have you experienced this in the past?

when i have tuned using one primer 205m and then tested other primers BR4 or KVB556 the former were hotter and carried more energy jumping my speed giving me worse groups where as the wolf primers were equal to the 205m but were more consistent and my groups improved over a larger sting.

Trevor

R.Morehouse and BartsBullets like this.
  7. BartsBullets

Alex,

That was with the tuner on!

8. Northridge

Northridge

Bart its always interesting how primers like many thing affect a rifles willingness to shoot and I'm curious what you will find down the road with this & I wish you success but I'm going to say this out loud even though this primer is showing even more mellow transition from spot to spot this concerns me in my own short range testing when moving to 1000 yards. my gut tells me this will struggle further out, what I mean is it will shoot everything you throw at it good but nothing great, I hope your findings are to the contrary but that is my 2 cents. it will struggle to go sub 2" vertical and stay round that's my projection . thanks for the updates...

Shawn Williams

9. JamesnTN

JamesnTN Silver $$ Contributor

I personally like the 30.4-30.6 node best with the tuner. That only one group at 31.6 is more likely a teaser.

Trevor60 and BartsBullets like this.
  10. BartsBullets

Shawn,

I won’t get a chance anytime soon to try it at 1000. But, I am going to shoot it at 600. Pretty much everything we have discussed you’ve been right on target!

I’m a little scare of the 3000fps node. It’s starting to shoot a little too good! I didn’t try it but I’m pretty sure evil lurks just on the other side of 31.2. So I’m going to park at 31.0 grs and twist on the tuner at distance if necessary!

Bart

11. BartsBullets

I agree! It will shoot down there!

Bart

12. Terry O

Terry O Silver $$ Contributor

Am I correct in assuming the Wolf primers being referenced are from personal stash? Or have them became available again?

13. BartsBullets

Trevor,

With 4895 it’s always tighten around the 2990 to 3000 FPS. I have not seen that with RL-15 or Varget.

As far as the load window opening up I’m not for sure! It could environmental. I have seen with mild temperatures and high humidity increase load windows significantly with the 6PPC. Or it could be the different primer or a better tuner setting. When I put the tuner back on I set it in a slightly different spot.

Bart

14. BartsBullets

Personel stash

15. BartsBullets

Alex,

I just checked that one. It has a carbide weight on the firing pin. The spring starts to compress at 20 lbs 5oz. At the full cocked position it 21 1/2 lbs.

Bart

16. Alex Wheeler

Yep, thats not stock :) Good.

BartsBullets likes this.
  17. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

I use Russian (Tulas) in my 12 twist BRA with XBR8208. Haven't done extensive testing, but the one time I shot with 450s it was terrible so I went right back. Plus, they give you an awesome forearm workout with the 21st Century tool. They were cheap, rugged and seemed to work well. Too bad we can't get them any longer.

18. Alex Wheeler

So your telling me this pile I have here is worth a lot of money?? LOL

19. retired

retired

only if you can find that one guy that wants them.
    i have about 15k plus some mags
    wolf and tula come out of the same factory in russia.
    not likely to be seen again soon.

20. BartsBullets

Shawn

It held up in LG!

https://imgur.com/a/vrpwW

Bart

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018