6BRA brass life

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by pat fulghum, Oct 5, 2019.

1. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

I have to work for a living, so I don't get to shoot every day.

Brass is cheap. I am not sure why everyone is trying to get 100 firings out of their brass. I am thinking of shooting mine 5-6 times and throwing them in the Pdog pile. I am not sure that is necessary, but if it came down to it I could order pre formed brass for $110 a hundred and skip all this other stuff. People talk about buying barrels buy the dozen but are obsessed with getting 100 firings out of their brass.

2. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

@urbanrifleman - A few scenario's for you:
    If your going to use every piece of brass out the box, like it is no different then the rest.... your plan should work good.
    If you don't care about all the "love & devotion" that can be put into a match set.... your plan should work good.
    Your sure that your accuracy will be just as good on the first 5-firings, as say the next +5-firings.... your plan should work good.
    If like me, don't anneal, and like brass the harder it gets, you may also find fantastic accuracy starts to kick in after 5-6 firings.
    But each to our own..... there's lot's of approaches and different ways to go at it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pat fulghum likes this.
  3. urbanrifleman

So you are saying don't anneal and watch for accuracy to improve? I have no plan, I am just saying new brass is cheap.

4. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

@urbanrifleman -
    About the best advise I can offer is: don't rule out nothing, until you've proved it to yourself, on the targets.

2nd: Test everything and all aspects, to find what all will work best for you, your rifles, and your equipment.

3rd: Did I advise to test yet?....LOL ..... with an open mind, and unbiased approach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. johara1

johara1

As hard as it is to make good Dasher brass I shoot it a long time, as easy as it is to make good 6BR Imp. brass it does mean a rats rear end any more. jim

dogdude likes this.
  6. urbanrifleman

This. :)

7. JMayo

JMayo

I personally don't like wasting anything. I just have a anxiety fit !

I thought brass wouldn't last. That is why I bought a new 200 after my first yr. (Lapua 6br isn't cheap)
    A friend annealed my old brass and I realised it was fine. So I can't just throw it out ....I just can't do it !

dmoran and Mark W like this.
  8. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

On a related topic, How many firings before you need to trim your 6BRA brass?

I’m on my 6th firing and so far the brass isn’t growing. That’s taking another tedious chore off the list and I’m happy about that

9. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Annealing has become so complicated it is like having to have a custom hammer to sit on the front porch steps and kill ants.

dbduff likes this.
  10. urbanrifleman

I bought them ants custom.

dbduff likes this.
  11. Tim-o-thy

Tim-o-thy Silver $$ Contributor

i have/had 3 ai chambering, I think the shoulder angle makes the brass not grow, none of them needed trimming hardly ever. And if they did it was .001

pat fulghum and Nature Boy like this.