6BRA barrel conditioning and cleaning

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Curious, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Curious

Curious

As always Im curious.

How do you condition your barrel before a match?

How many shots from clean do you like to see down the tube before you shoot your first relay?

How many shots before you clean the rifle again?

Im sure there are other relevent questions relating to this subject but in general whats your routine to ensure you are shooting your barrel in a match at its best?

2. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Silver $$ Contributor

The way I clean, I discredit my first fowling shot and only adjust about half for windage, after the second shot I would shoot record string, though I generally use up my sighter time trying to see how stable the conditions are. I typically clean between relays, and almost always shoot 17-18 shots typically per relay. I skipped cleaning between relays once and shot a second relay, and it didnt seem to make a difference other than the first shot was right where it needed to be, not low.

I typically clean my barrel (hot if possible), and before I put it away, I dry patch it and finish it off with some kroil.

3. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

Usually 8 sighters, then ten records, then clean the hot barrel back to bare bones, BUT I have a barrel that likes a lot of rounds down it to settle down (20). ''Curious'' all barrels are like girls..never find 2 the same. Try what ''mikeeg02'' said and see if it will shoot as good with out cleaning before you go to your next match.

4. Curious

Curious

My routine is to arrive at a match with a clean barrel, my gun is usually load checked the day before and then cleaned. I will fire around 8-10 sighters then shoot my relays, I dont clean between relays.

This works for me but Im not saying it can't be improved upon.

Rushty likes this.
  5. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm not saying my way is any more right. I just try to make every string the same. Same clean barrel. Same number of sighters. Same cleaning routine. Now keeping the trigger puller consistent is what I really need to work on lol.

6. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

We'll I would like to give you some good data but I don't think I am qualified I think the guy's in the west Alex wheeler an Tom mousel would be the guy's to help you with that.PS they probably had more experiences with that case maybe they will chime in.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

The 6BRA doesnt require anything different than any other round. I came to the line with a clean barrel. 5-7 sighters then record target. I like to clean as often as I can, but do not have an issue letting them go 40-50 rounds between cleanings. Many of our good shooters come to the line with a fouled barrel, some will go past well over 50 between cleanings. I dont think theres any magic there, just listen to the barrel.

8. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

Hahaha... You sure? That little shoulder change seems to have created an entirely new round that defies all the laws of physics of all previous rounds!!! :) I mean it's like two centuries of firearm development is just right out the window!!! hahahahaha

(There are ten 6BRA posts asking the same questions... hahaha)

(all in good fun... jus playin)

Spitjack likes this.
  9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Defies physics? I cant go with that. But shoots smaller at 1k than anything I have seen first hand, I have to say it does. LOL, there is a lot of BRA threads at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  10. haveme1

haveme1

At the Last 600yd match one guy cleans to bare metal after each relay, 2 of two targets, & another didn't clean at all.
    Guy cleaning won 1 in score & 2 in group.
    Guy not cleaning won 2 in score and 1 in group.

All i can say about cleaning during match is it cuts down on the toughness of getting rife clean at the end of the day.

Rushty likes this.