6br with criterion barrel?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Motoman006, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Motoman006

Motoman006

have not heard much on these barrels what are you guys input?

found a decent deal on a 6br it has a criterion 6br pre-fit barrel Rem-Age varmint with a blueprinted action

how do these things shoot compared to a kreiger or bartlien barrel? are they comparable?
    will it be able to compete at 600 yard well enough?

anyone with experience on these?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I have Criterions in .223 Rem, 6.5-284 Norma and .243 A.I, all of them set up as switch-barrels. The .223 and the 6.5 are built on trued Remingtons and the .243 AI is built on a Savage long action. Cutting to the chase, I think that Criterion barrels are a stomp-down outstanding value. All three were very nicely finished inside and out (inside being much more important . . .), all three broke in with a minimum of fuss and bother and all three just plain SHOOT. The 6.5 rides in an Eliseo chassis and will shoot five shots in the low twos all day long, that is if I haven't had too much coffee. The other two will routinely shoot low threes, high twos. Speaking for myself, I'm very pleased with the quality and overall value of these barrels and I would not hesitate to use them again.

Are Kreigers and Bartleins better? I don't think I'm a good enough shot to know for sure.

3. Motoman006

Motoman006

Well I was simply just throwing some known barrels markers out to compare but if it can shoot in the Low 2s it'll prolly outshoot me

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. KWeigel

KWeigel whunt_64

Became a high master in 600 yard Fclass with one.

5. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

I have 2 CBI barrels now both 6 mm BR 8 tw, Savage rifle and Striker pistol. Great shooters

Mark Schronce

6. potatoe

potatoe

Yeah we lucky ones saw that pic Mark ;)

How much does one of their rem-age go for?

7. Motoman006

Motoman006

Next question

He said the action is blueprinted, is it possible it was blueprinted and retained the factory thread pitch? The criterion barrels will only screw into factory threaded actions

8. Baddog0302

Baddog0302 Silver $$ Contributor

Go to Northland shooting supply . com
    26" are $ 300.00, 28" & 30" are more. Call Jim and he can give you the info you need

DHuffman likes this.
  9. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Yep looked like a perfect double barrel to me. Matt

10. 1raggedhole

1raggedhole Silver $$ Contributor

I have been shooting a savage prefit in 6br 8t 28" and it shoots very well. Will definitely buy again.

11. gotcha

gotcha

I only have one Criterion in 6.5X47L,Savage action. Contact Criterion & they will furnish their PT&G reamer specs or will chamber with reamer you furnish if so desired. Nice helpful folks to work with. They are button rifled and hand lapped via a process developed by Krieger. I have several Krieger cut rifle barrels and the Criterion shoots as well or in some cases better than the Kriegers.Don't think you'd go wrong with a Criterion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  12. gotcha

gotcha

"blue printed" is a term that can have many meanings. From simply squaring off the receiver to re-aligning the threads or adjusting bolt timing for proper primary extraction and cocking follow through. What exactly has been done to the action and can the seller refer you to the smith that accomplished the work for verification. If he can't, don't blindly accept that any "truing" has actually been accomplished......... Better not to buy "a pig in a poke" Just sayin' ;)

13. arnie

arnie

Some where I read about Criterion barrels chamber not being able to handle the higher loads some use on custom cut chambers .I found this out before reading that and had to drop down to the next lower accuracy node to 27.8 varget from most reported loads of 30 something grains with 105 Berger bullets and Lapua brass. It didn't show pressure but bolt hard to open . Does any one know why this happens with the Criterion cut chamber ?

14. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

In this case "blueprinted" probably means action faced and the lugs lapped. Action threads are likely untouched.

My Criterion 6 BR on an old Savage J model single shot will shoot in the .0 - .1s at 200 and shoots very small out to 700 or even 1000 if it's calm.

It's a 28" bull and runs 29.5 grains Varget at 2880 at 30.5 it starts getting bolt lift. The pic is 3 shots at 200

I've got several Criterion barrels they're good to go.

Attached Files:

snakepit, Bojo, Mark W and 2 others like this.
  15. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

Never heard of such a thing. A barrel is a barrel in that regard.

RDA72927, Mark W, Dgd6mm and 2 others like this.
  16. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Ditto

17. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

I shot 200-14X at 600yds today with my 6 Dasher Criterion pre-fit on a Savage 12 F-Class. Would have liked more Xs but will live with it.

The Criterions shoot as well as any of my Kriegers. Don't have a Bartlien.

rckendall and Dgd6mm like this.
  18. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

I have 3 Criterions, 243, 6 br, 260. 243 and 6 br shoot in the 1''s and low 2's while the 260 is a strong .5 moa. I'm building a 6 dasher this winter. Will be a Criterion barrel.

RDA72927 likes this.
  19. ratbuster

ratbuster Silver $$ Contributor

Between myself and friends we own over a dozen Criterion barrels. Top flight products and customer service!

ranger3 likes this.
  20. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

I recently turned a Criterion prefit Savage large shank into a small shank for a friend and I was very impressed with the machine work and run out. I would sure try one now after that experience.