6br Lee collet neck die

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by magic mike, Mar 15, 2019.

1. magic mike

magic mike Gold $$ Contributor

Does anyone have a Lee collet neck die for 6mmbr that you would part with? I just called Lee and they will make one but I would also have to buy their seating die with it which I don't need plus they are twelve weeks out. The nice lady told me I could get just the collet die but it would be the same price as both dies. No thanks. I don't want to pay $70 plus shipping for a die that sells for $24.00.

Please PM me if you have something.

Thank,s
    Mike

2. Flyshooter

Flyshooter

Hey Fella - you don't need a 6BR collet die when a 6PPC collet die will work just great.

Been using a Lee 6PPC collet die to load 6BR for a long time. Just place a thick washer over/around a 6BR case and adjust the collet die as normal.

Maybe Lee quite making the $24.00 6PPC collet die? Otherwise it works super with little or no runout.....actually prefer it to my redding S neck die.

3. Lucky Shooter

Lucky Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

I've also used the 6 PPC collet die----was happy with it.

I didn't see the 6 PPC collet listed-----might check around and see if any dealer
    has one left.

Good luck finding what you want.

A. Weldy

4. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

A short while back Lee discontinued their 6PPC collet die. I got one that someone had in stock after they were discontinued. I told a friend that he should get one, and he put it off and then they were gone. I bought mine for a 6BRA. It works fine.

5. magic mike

Yes, Lee did quit making the 6PPC die and I think that was a dumb move on their behalf. I've done some searching on the web but so far no luck. It's not the end of the world to have them make me one, it just rubs me the wrong way that its $70 bucks whether you take the seating die that comes with it or not. On the other hand, $70 for a custom made die is cheap so maybe I ought to quit crying about it and pony up. Might still get lucky and find someone who has one they'd let go. Ya never know.
    Thank you all for your responses.

6. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

If you want great ammunition, bite the bullet and buy a custom LEE collet die set. I use one for both my 6BRX and 1284 WIN and they cut them to match your load. The price of the custom die is WAY cheaper than a precision neck sizing die. I know as I have a $275 premium die sitting in the die bin that stopped being used when I started neck sizing. I still use a short body die to size the cases.

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

If a lee collet die is more than $5 or so just keep moving- its not worth it. Its only something that will clutter up a drawer once you learn about full length sizing and its benefits

jackson1 likes this.
  8. Jcav

Jcav Silver $$ Contributor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    murray brook likes this.
  9. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

Could you provide a link. I can't find it.

10. magic mike

Thank you Jcav, I got it and it's on the way.

Just for the record Mr. Stevens, the best loads I have ever assembled for my 308 were done with a Redding body die and a lee collet neck die. They had the least run out of any rounds I had ever loaded previously using bushing type or non-bushing type full length dies. My intention is to do the same with my 6br.

Mike

Mark W, Jcav and NZ_Fclass like this.
  11. NZ_Fclass

NZ_Fclass

I have never had a problem with a Lee collet die. I get better run out in 308 than my Forster Benchrest dies.

Stickler likes this.
  12. Perk

Perk perk Gold $$ Contributor

I ordered one from them and received a shell plate. After three week I received my money back.

13. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

You did good Mike. It does pay to ask, that's the second or third time I have seen someone looking for 6br collet die and have been giving the information about the 6ppc collet die and they were purchased off eBay. I use them when I'm lazy and don't feel like doing the whole reloading process. With that being said if I want ultimate accuracy out of my loads I'm with Dusty on full length sizing.

14. 1holeaddict

1holeaddict Silver $$ Contributor

Im have been debating the 6 PPC collet on the 6BR using the magical washer. Can anyone tell me if this magical washer causes only a partial neck size?

I am concerned that if it does not size the entire neck especially close to the neck shoulder junction you may not receive the full benefits of the concept.

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Ty

Ryan

15. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

A friend has used one for his 6BRA, just as it came, with no issues. The die leaves an extremely small part of the end of the neck, at the case mouth unsized and he tells me that that actually improves bullet seating. He is shooting Varget, which does not seem to need much neck tension. For other powders that do, he probably would have to modify the mandrel or order additional ones with smaller diameters. He is quite pleased with the accuracy that he is getting, and he has a good frame of reference since he owns a couple of good shooting 6PPCs.

16. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

i use a .025 shim i got from McMaster Carr. the whole neck gets sized

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3362

17. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

Lee has a pretty good thing going with their collet die but I have always been perplexed why they stopped at half way with it. It comes separate, or the collet die with a seater, or in the 4 die set with full length sizer using the expander ball which totally defeats the collet die. I always thought they would be wise to sell it in a two die set, the collet die and a full length body die in a nice box with provision for a couple different size mandrels. Everyone has a preference on seating dies so don't package one with the collet die. I have not found anyplace that sells the 6.5 creed die separate, only in the 4 die set which doesn't make sense to me. I don't know how difficult it would be in their die manufacturing process to enlarge the the neck of a full length die creating a body die. Another thing I hate turning necks and I've found on new brass the collet die will actually help uniform neck thickness with a couple two three squeezes on the mandrel.

Didn't mean to hijack the 6br/6ppc discussion but maybe just maybe someone at Lee might see this thread and a light go off. Precision shooters full length every time, we already have our collet die system, there are a lot of 6br's out there maybe we should make a few and see if they sell. I'll bet Redding loves the fact that they get a die sale for every collet die Lee sells.

murray brook likes this.
  18. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

Don't forget, when you order a custom collet die set, you must send a couple dummy rounds using the bullet and seating you will be shooting. The seating die comes shaped to fit your bullet--Custom Die Set!
    Yes, my short body sizing plus collet neck size also makes less run-out than my old, unused full length sizing die with bushing.

19. Art Dirindin

Art Dirindin

Glad to here it. I have invested in those two dies for multiple calibers and rifles. Am very excited to see what happens. I decided to try the combo of Redding body only and the Lee Collet dies I already had the Collet dies for all my calibers and after watching a guy put 10 6 ppc at 100 yards in one tiny ragged hole and asked him what dies he used. He replied a Redding body only sizing die and a Lee Collet die.
    He then let me shoot his last six shots and I shot the smallest group in my entire life. He even let me keep the target. It was the first and only time I ever have shot a pure bunch rest rifle. It was topped with a 36x Leupold BR scope and he told me it had a 2oz trigger.

boltfluter and 1holeaddict like this.
  20. 1holeaddict

1holeaddict Silver $$ Contributor

boltfluter likes this.