6br lee colet help to locate

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by WILLIAM MIZELL, May 31, 2013.

1. WILLIAM MIZELL

WILLIAM MIZELL

Fellow shooters
    Can anyone suggest where to look for a
    lee colet die for a 6br.I was told here that
    a 6ppc would work If that is so, does anyone
    know where to look. I have looked every where
    I can think of. IF the 6ppc will not work is there
    any thing that will?

Thanks in advance
    Bill

2. 22BRGUY

22BRGUY Silver $$ Contributor

I think the 6ppc collet die will work but confirm that with others but I just went to gunbroker.com and put in collet die and there is a 6ppc 2 die set available there now. Hope this helps. Also just went on ebay and found 3 sets of 6ppc collet dies.

3. snakepit

snakepit Silver $$ Contributor

I once called Lee about using their 6 PPC collet die for the 6 BR and they told me not to do that. Contrary to some posts I have read before Lee said that they have never told anyone that it was ok to do this. I asked them about manufacturing a 6 BR Collet Die and was told that they are so busy now that they do not have the time to bring out new products.

4. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

If you go to LEE Precision web site, you can find their custom shop. I don't know how their work load has impacted the custom shop, but they normally will make a custom die set of a collet neck sizer and a precision bullet seater. You must send them a couple of your fired cases with bullets you plan to use seated the proper length. They will send back the die set and your dummy cases.

I had them make a set for my 6BRX. Prompt and a bargain!

5. jb27

jb27

Last time I checked Lee website had a message on it that they are not doing custom orders due to the current state of affairs. They estimate getting back into doing them this summer. I too would like a collet die for 6br. It seems there was mixed reviews about using the 6ppc collet die for the 6br. So I think i'm going to wait it out until I can get a custom one made by Lee.

6. jwv2001

jwv2001

As was stated, Lee will make a 6mmBR collet die if you send them 2 fired cases and the bullet you intend to use.
    Don't use the 6PPC collet die as it will not size the neck completely. The case will come out of the PPC collet die slightly belled at the case mouth because the 6BR neck is longer than the PPC.

7. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........

Bill,
    I've been told by some knowledgeable people that Lee DOESN'T make a 6mmbr Collet Die. The alternative MIGHT BE to have their custom shop make one as the idea of using the 6ppc Collet Die simply won't work in it's manufactured state. I suggest you look at alternative manufacturers who do make a 6mmbr Bushing Die.

Alex

8. ReedG

ReedG

Everyone's mileage can vary, but my 6 PPC Collet Die works fine on my 6 BR cases and has sized thousands.

gotcha and NorCalMikie like this.
  9. Tozguy

Tozguy

To get the 6ppc collet die to size a 6BR case you need to use a shim on the shell holder to compensate for the difference in case lengths. With the right shim thickness the 6BR case does not come out bell mouthed.

gotcha likes this.
  10. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Buy a 6PPC colet die and shim it! I will bet the cost of it that it will work!

11. Ringostar

Ringostar

Same idea but different case. I wanted to try a Lee collet for .284, but they're not doing custom work yet. I got a 7x57 mauser collet die expecting to ream for case size. The die already had enough clearance without reaming. So the 7x57 die works for .284 right out of the box.

12. gotcha

gotcha

Got a 6PPC set from Mid-south recently. used TOZGUYS idea of washer around base of case & got perfectly formed necks on my bulk (dented) 6mm BR Norma necks. Used two thicknesses of .030" Delrin super glued together. Thanks again for the idea TOZ :) Don't forget to polish all mating/sliding surfaces to insure smooth operation. Bigedp51 has some pics posted showing the areas to be polished.

13. swadiver

swadiver

i know this is an old thread, but could someone explain or post pics of how to shim between the brass and the shell holder? ain't no room in my shell holder for this.

thanks

14. Terry O

Terry O Silver $$ Contributor

As I understand it, after placing the case in the shell holder you place a washer/shim of the correct thickness over the case and then run the case into the die.

15. savagedasher

savagedasher

Doesn't the de priming rod néed to guide the base ? I got a 243 set coming but have to turn the primer punch smaller and shorten the length . Larry

roninfl. likes this.
  16. roninfl.

roninfl.

Larry let us know how that works out, and the details of your modifications.

17. savagedasher

savagedasher

Will do . Larry

18. savagedasher

savagedasher

Going to contact lee the case I use need the smaller firing pin . I want to know if I can get extras to where I can adjust neck size . Larry

19. 22BRGUY

22BRGUY Silver $$ Contributor

I have been using a 6ppc collet die to resize necks on 6 dasher brass for years. It works fine as described above with shims/washers.
    Larry, on your question my experience is that the de priming rod floats and centers itself into the case mouth. I have one de priming rod with the needle tip broken off and I like it when on occasion I have a primed piece of brass that needs to have the neck resized and I don't want to de prime the new primer.

20. savagedasher

savagedasher

Thanks That save a lot of work . I use persison washers .
    Now I don't have to worry about some brass the neck size is different Larry