6BR- Ackley Improved 40 degree

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by HUNTER3401, Sep 25, 2015.

1. JasonPeterson

JasonPeterson Gold $$ Contributor

My print is attached

Attached Files:

2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Thank You...........:cool:

3. Thumper

Thumper

Alex, does the 6BRAI print that Jason Peterson just posted match your reamer specs?

Thank you

4. Matt P

Matt P

The one slight issue I see with that print is the 0.461" @ the shoulder. Jason may have a die to suit that measurement but if you want to use cut down Dasher dies I'd pull that back to 0.460.
    Matt P

5. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :) Silver $$ Contributor

see post #4:

6. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

Cutting the Dasher die won`t affect shoulder diameter, and most all Dashers I have prints on are .4619" at the shoulder.

He has given it generous freebore diameter @ .244" must figure there will be some fat bullets going down the pipe!!

The case draws back .007" upon firing so he has also given a generous OAL of 1.570". I like the .200" of .4715", no clickers, if die chosen wisely!

D2, or D2.5 Harrells cut .080" I run a D2 with zero issues.

Gabe22BR and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

All those specs are good, and done with testing and reasons. None are overlooked.

JasonPeterson and R.Morehouse like this.
  8. Terry Altom

Terry Altom Silver $$ Contributor

Since I'm not home right now to measure, what are you all seeing on new Lapua BR brass at the .200" line?

My BR-AI reamer is .4704" at the .200", .463" at the shoulder, and 1.560" OAL

9. tclaunch

Your base to shoulder diameters are within the total .008" taper per inch, so good there, I always try to roll without needing custom dies, all begins with the reamer specs. Your shoulder at .463" will demand a custom sizer and seater, BUT, sounds like a killer set up. 1.560 OAL works fine too, less space for carbon.

10. Terry Altom

Terry Altom Silver $$ Contributor

I'd love to use one of Harrell's, but I think the shoulder will send me over to Whidden, which I currently use for my Dasher and has fantastic fit and finish.

11. tclaunch

Cannot go wrong there. What is their turn time now days for custom dies?

12. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

They quoted me 6 weeks and I had it within 3 weeks

13. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

On the above reamer print it has 100 FB. Could you please educate me on the how & why it was settled on......Thank's for your time.....Rick

14. Alex Wheeler

In the dasher I have settled on a .140 as about ideal. The 6 bra has .080 more neck. So to keep the same relationship between the bullet and doughnut you would run a .060" freebore. The only reason I didnt do that is I know how guys think, and they would have freaked. .100 gives more bullet in the neck for more neck tension which these cases like, going longer just does not make any sense to me. Actually I lengthened the chamber length on this case compared to the dasher so, in reality the bullet doesnt seat that much deeper. With the 6bra you can go .060-.140 and be fine with the 105s.

15. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Quote, "In the dasher I have settled on a .140 as about ideal. The 6 bra has .080 more neck. So to keep the same relationship between the bullet and doughnut you would run a .060" freebore. The only reason I didnt do that is I know how guys think, and they would have freaked"

You are exactly right Alex, good job on getting people to think on their own!

16. JamesnTN

JamesnTN Silver $$ Contributor

Here are a couple groups shot this morning at 1k from my Bat M using my bullets. The barrel was chambered by your very own Tim Claunch using my Reamer design for the 6 BR AI

IMG_4106.JPG

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4103.JPG

comagutsa, OmegaRed, Hal and 6 others like this.
  17. tclaunch

You need to take that to Whitehorse!!

18. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I don't understand. So you don't have ES in single digits and you didn't tune at 100 yards??? Hahaha. That is awesome, nice work yet again!

dkhunt14 and Hoodoo like this.
  19. Alex Wheeler

Nice groups, but I am not surprised. Thats just what they do when every thing is right. You know how to tune properly at 1k, I would expect no less out of your rifles ;)

JamesnTN likes this.
  20. OmegaRed

OmegaRed

Not to muddy this thread, but I'm trying to clarify. I have some new unturned and 1x fired light turned 6BR brass for my .270 neck 6BR , and wondering if I should turn everything for this or sell some off to standardize. I'm looking to build a 6BRA this winter...are the reamers you have Alex no turn? Is a no turn on this .272? I thought I read on this thread somewhere about .268 as well...or is there not much standardization yet since people are still in the experimental stage?