6BR 105VLD 30gr of Varget...an untried combination

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by OmegaRed, Jun 17, 2018.

1. OmegaRed

OmegaRed Silver $$ Contributor

i just shot a ladder for my 6BR at 500yds. BAT SV, Krieger 1:8, Varget and 105 VLD target jammed .010.

No surprise here, 29.8-30.0 was the sweet spot on both ladders I shot. On the first, 29.6-30 was under an inch 3 group. Second, 29.6 was out but 29.8-30.0 was still good.

My question is, would you just start with seating depth tests at 29.9gr to give yourself .1 lee way on either side for a buffer (bad powder throws and the general innaccuracy of a chargemaster)? Just trying to get insight on reading ladders. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Mulligan likes this.
  2. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

I know I would '
    J

Mulligan likes this.
  3. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

I would start at 29.9.
    I would also do a seating ladder and then prove the powder ladder with another test.
    That’s about the limit of my ability/advice.
    CW

4. OmegaRed

Are you still looking for vertical on a seating ladder?

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Yes,
    Not sure if there is a right way or not.
    I look for the most forgive. In other words, two or better yet, 3 different seating depths that print close to the same vertical.
    The short range guys do it a bit different, however the the results are nearly the same.
    Look for a post from James Mock (@jamesdmock ), I think there is a daily bulliten about Jame’s process.
    CW

Edit to include the link
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/here-is-my-tip-on-how-to-find-ideal-seating-depth.3933366/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    OmegaRed and seymour fish like this.
  6. OmegaRed

Got out to do some seating depth testing today. 10mph winds, but relatively steady. First three I tried today...not sure how much crazier I'm going to go. Might shoot the next two depths just to see if/when it open up for my records. This is .010, .008, .006 jam

Attached Files:

7. Curious

Curious

At what distance was this test shot?

8. OmegaRed

100yds

9. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Omega red
    Do you have access to increased distance?
    I normally sight in a new scope at 200
    Eric Cortina has been successful testing at 100 however I prefer ladders at 300 then seating test at 550 or 600
    I have no experience with vld secant ogive projectiles so seating may vary in that regard however using tangent ogive I like to start testing ladders at the lands -then seating first on the lands then jump .005 -.010 then .015 I get a good idea where things are going.
    I recently tried -0- 008- .016 got a great test found that .016 was magic. Then I ran out of bullets and the next batch were totally different 'Just my luck- oh well '
    Ordered 500 box and start over
    J

10. OmegaRed

Sorry, I should have specified. Ladder was shot at 500. Groups for seating at 100. Yes I can shoot out to 1000, just a bit more work to get down to that location so I try to do multiple tests on the same day if possible.

11. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Can you do a seating at 500 they are very revealing on white typing paper you should be able to see them.
    J
    Sorry man you did specify 500
    My bad

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  12. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

"In tune, is in tune. The distance does not matter." (paraphrasing my words) I was told this by a record setting shooter recently. He tunes at 100, set his record at 600.

The question is are you tuning to stay in tune? Or are you just getting lucky. Does the method outline how the gun goes into tune and stays there? And does it show how it goes out of tune? If you are out of tune do you know how to get back in tune?

Just food for thought.

BartsBullets and Rushty like this.
  13. OmegaRed

See this other thread I made...kind of touched on this. I haven't really found a "bad" grouping yet, or opening up hugely to show it going out of tune.
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/where-to-go-from-here-with-load-development.3954892/

14. urbanrifleman

Looks like you found two different nodes with the seating depth chart you posted. Now the trick is to find the seating depth that shoots the best at the two velocity nodes. And there should be a shooting depth that shoots the best no matter the charge. Then the powder will have to be tweaked to get back into the velocity sweet spot at that seating depth. Then its in tune.

OmegaRed likes this.
  15. OmegaRed

Thank you. Very informative - just what I was looking for. I've never went this far with a load before.

16. urbanrifleman

Make a target like this: CHARGE ACROSS, SEATING DOWN

29.7 30 30.3

-8 -8 -8
    -4 -4 -4
    0 0 0
    +4 +4 +4
    +8 +8 +8
    +12 +12 +12
    +16 +16 +16

You will see the velocities go up as you go into the lands. You might hit pressure as you go down. One of these depths will shoot better than the others. Most likely you will see the node if you record the velocities, where you will see the velocity flatten from left to right. You will also see one seating depth be stable for POI. On the horizontal line the load is stable for .6 grains.

perazziguy and DanSavage like this.
  17. barefooter56

barefooter56

Try our BERGER VLD BULLET SEATING DEPTH TESTING here: http://www.bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/ Please change all references to COAL to CBTO= Cartridge Base To Ogive. Target bullet seating depth testing is listed first.. Then hunting.

Link likes this.
  18. SF-Guy

SF-Guy Gold $$ Contributor

Yep, into the lands will increase velocity. It bothers me a little when i hear folks use the term "kiss the lands" because as hard as we all try none of the dies, bullets and chambers are completely perfect so 'kissing' means some are in , some are out, and some are just right there....and they they complain that there is vertical stringing. (sure is) I say either be "in" or "out" and not close. the best part of the Ladder ( as intended by the young Air Force guy - Creighton Audette) is to be able to shoot increasing powder charges and keep track of the shot numbers. Then look for a range of powder charges that put rounds into the same spot. ( not necessarily a tight group). it allows us to load knowing we may be off 0.10 or more grains and still will put rounds into a highpower target.

19. 6.5creed

6.5creed Gold $$ Contributor

When testing my 6br I couldn't find a bad group from 29 - 30.3 g Varget at 100 yards.

30.3 was light bolt lift and 30.4 was a little worse. I kept testing from 29.6 to 30 but eventually backed up to 29 and the most stable, accurate centered in the node load ended up being 29.5

I think it was doing about 2880 there but it's been awhile. 105 HVLDs, BR 4s wound up tighter also.

.011 in for seating.

Criterion 8 twist 28" bull

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM
  20. urbanrifleman

Yes, the Criterion 8 tw seems to like 29.6.