6AR/243LBC/6 Grendel

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Ksmirk, Sep 6, 2017.

1. flatlander

flatlander

I put a 6 RAT together on a Howa Mini with the Grendel boltface last year. Used a Bartlein 1-8tw in light Palma contour finished at 24" & with the shank turned down to 1.090" to be a better match to the Mini's small action. McMillan did a Sako Varmint stock for it; both the action & bottom inlet were spot-on, and this stock was delivered pretty much on time. However, the 2nd stock I ordered from them over a year ago still hasn't made it to me - no idea what's going on there...

I've seen very good 500yd accuracy out of Berger 90BTHPs with IMR 4320 - not great velocity, but about all the accuracy you could reasonably expect. Other projects & work on customers' rifles forced me to put this rifle on the back burner where further load development is concerned, but I'm sure looking forward to getting back to it.

2. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

I've got a mess of rounds loaded up but seems when we get a decent weather day work is crazy and I can't get away or when I can get away I'd have to dress like an Eskimo lol I've gotten good results from both the Sierra 95SMK and the Berger 95 VLD.

Just because I wanted to try some 7.62x39 brass just in case I can't find brass someday and to run it in the AR when I might loose some brass and it's been shooting wonderfully! I had 20 left the other day and thought I'd see what kind of groups I could get and the little rifle put all 20 easily under an inch at 100.

3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

IME, that brass holds up fine at the pressures that I load for in an AR but not my bolt gun loads. I wish it would. It's a lot cheaper than the Grendel brass.

4. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

I'm contemplating using the 7.62x39 strictly for the AR and keeping the Lapua for the bolt rifle, easier to keep the two loads separated and yes it's MUCH cheaper just a couple extra steps to get there and never was a fan of the Hornady brass BUT got an email from Starline that they are making 7.62x39 brass so I may have to get some next time I order 223 brass.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.