6AR/243LBC/6 Grendel

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Ksmirk, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

Good evening fella's! I have a barrel headed my direction for a bolt rifle build and while I've gotten some wonderful help from a couple of gentlemen about loads I was wondering if anyone out there was shooting the little guy and could offer some additional starting points? main bullets would be the 95gr. SMK and Berger's but would be nice to hear if any of you have shot the lighter bullets? probably nothing lighter than 70gr just in case the rifle finds it's way into the truck if we go to the Pdog pasture.

I have a mess of RL15 that I use in other calibers and had planned to pick up a pound of IMR8208 and H4895 from recommendations. If you guys who shoot this don't mind offering a little info that would be wonderful! the more info I have the better and yes I would never just load your loads in my rifle as that would be stupid! I know to back off and work up just in case as I'm sure most of you don't know me from Adam.

I appreciate any info you can offer and if you don't want to put it out there for the world to see please feel free to PM me. Thanks fella's in advance.

Kirk

2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Reloader 15 would be my first choice as my grendel loves a compressed load. Its what Im going to try first when I get my build of a varient built.

3. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

Should I have put this in the wildcats or does not many know much or shoot this caliber?

I've heard good things about RL15 and AA2520 for the heavier bullets. I picked up a pound of IMR8208 and H4895 as I'm going to mostly run the 95gr bullets or at least to get started.

4. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I throated a 12 twist for 66ish thru 80gr bullets. N133 is amazing with the light bullets. For the 80's, my gun seems to prefer Benchmark but 8208 and LT32 were both very good.

This cartridge has a WORLD of potential! What's not to like? It'll shoot the light bullets with a PPC, only faster. It'll shoot the 80's about as well, at typical PPC velocities for the 68gr bullets! Oh, and no long drop tubes with painstaking pours..so far. We're just scratching the surface with this cartridge. It MIGHT, and probably should, replace the venerable 6 PPC!! Yep, big statement.

5. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

I tried the 6 Fat Rat and didn't have much luck BUT that got the idea stuck in my head about the little round and just seems I couldn't drop it so got with a guy who is a heath of knowledge with it and if the planets stay lined up I should have it going boom in a couple of weeks, this will be in a bolt rifle so I should get a touch more than the AR fella's are getting so my hopes are rather high! My barrel is a 8T and going to run the 95gr bullets so should be in business next week as soon as the brass and dies show up.

I've got some real good info but just looking to see if there may be some more folks out there who have played with the round so I don't try and re invent the wheel lol yes sir replacing the PPC might be a stretch it's kinda got a foothold hehe

6. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

I have thought about a 243lbc ar build for awhile now. I think it would make a great hunting rig.

7. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

I've yet to get real world velocities yet but from what info I've been given looks like it could be a winner for a hunting round in an AR..... heck I use 223 but the heavier bullets and have yet to have any problems with game so with the heavier bullet choices of the 6mm should be a good option but doubt I'd go after Elk :)

8. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter

I know this isn't the caliber you asked about but I'm running 8208 out of a .264 LBC and am getting very good groups and great velocity. This is out of a BHW 20" .264 LBC Barrel and 123 gr. Bullet.You can buy 6.5 Grendel over the counter. Don't know about the 6 Grendel, haven't seen it anywhere but reloads. I hear good things about it also. There are several threads about it on PredatorMasters.

9. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

Yes the 243LBC is a load your own kinda thing. I picked up a pound of 8202 and H4895 Friday, die parts showed up, lug and barrel nut are here now just need to pick up the 6.5G Go Gage and brass to show up and MAYBE if the stars keep lined up might get this together here soon.

I'll swing over to PM and see if I can't find a few of the posts and check them out, thanks for the direction.

10. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I have a AR chambered in 243LBC AR40degree. The Lapua case neck was way too tight resulting in high pressure and ruined cases. I had the neck opened, added a carrier weight, fully-shrouded bolt carrier, Tubb spring and molied the bullets and now the rifle functions properly with good accuracy with 29 gr of Varget and 107 SMK. If I had to do it again, I would get a Fat Rat.

11. Hoser

Hoser

I am using Varget and 105 Bergers in my 6 Grendel gas gun. Very happy with the results.

12. Blazin

Blazin

6mm Grendel: all I've tried so far are 70 SMK's and 88 Bergers and gun loves both. Tried 8208 & Varget, 8208 worked best for me. 70's clocked at 3179 fps!!!!

6mm Fat Rat: using 107 SMK's and getting best accuracy with Varget. Pushing them at 2756 fps. I also tried 8208 and 4895 and couldn't get the same accuracy.

13. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

I've had a fat rat and let's just say well I had a fat rat.... I think it would have been a better experience if I would have had the reamer and done my own barrel but like Forest Gump..... That's all I have to say about that.

I have the plan to shoot the 95gr bullets and have been given several loads with 8208 and those look rather promising! most everyone has said just start at the upper end of the PPC and bottom of the BR load data. I do have a mess of 105 Berger's I run in my 243 but I also have to recall that this round is not going to be the 243 Win! not near enough cubic inches to even compete BUT it should make a wonderful rifle for steel out to 600 and I should be able to actually hear hits unlike my 223 :)

14. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

IME, that's just getting started in a bolt gun. If it's an AR,..different story. My bolt gun 6 Grendel will shoot 80's at 3,400fps. That's pushing it hard, so work up to that and don't even go near there in an AR15

I didn't chrono the 68's but I have shot some on top of 33.0gr of n133. Just blazing! Probably at or near 3,700fps.

Again, work up to that as it's pushing it pretty hard but in my rifle, I did not see high pressure signs there...and the case still has a little room for more, without a long drop tube. Oh, and it may be the most accurate load I've tested so far.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    WyleWD and GSPV like this.
  15. NorthGATactical

NorthGATactical

I shoot mid-range 3x600 with 6AR (PTG Reamer #5073), 274 neck & standard 30 deg shoulder.
    R15 and H4895 with 105 Hybrids, 108's, and 107SMK all 10-20 off.

28.4 R15, CC450 and Lapua brass is good for about 2750 (26" 8T barrel) w/ good brass life.
    27.8 H4895 yields similar results.

87 VLD under 28.5 R15 are tightest of lighter bullets but gives up additional 1/2 minute @ 600 with 10 mph full value wind.

The neck is tight for a gas gun so I turn the necks down a touch. The later reamers open the neck up to 275 (LBC turbo40) and 276 (fat rat), w/40 deg shoulders blown out .079-.083.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  16. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I have the LBC Turbo40 and the neck is too tight for Lapua brass but may be for Alexander Arms brass.

17. wapiti25

wapiti25

Get QuickLoad and play with case capacity. My 12 Tw 6mmBR likes 80's with VV135.

18. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot a fat rat and 6ar turbo40. Virtually identical. Been running CFE 223 and more recently 2000MR. We had pressure with RL15, Varget, vv140 when we got into the 2800fps range. The Cfe and 2000 get us 2850-2900 with 108s and very manageable pressure. Still shooting my old AA brass... 12+ firings.

I did have to run carrier weight and spring for best results. My Turbo is 24" 2850ish my Fat is 26" and 2880ish. Accuracy is excellent. 87s run about 3025 on up.

Good luck... they put a smile on you cant wipe off.

19. Ksmirk

Ksmirk

Thanks fella's! I've been working a stock I had and trying to decide if I want to go with a magazine or not, been talking with Jeff at CDI and he's pretty confident we can make it work and I've been playing and pretty sure it will so now if life will slow down a bit and give me some free time I could get this sucker together and work up some loads. I'm starting to get to really itching to get this to the range :) Thanks again fella's!