6 SLR Die Question

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by GoferDog, Oct 29, 2018.

1. GoferDog

GoferDog

Gday guys, hopefully this hasn’t been covered before. I have a 243 with a toasted barrel and about 1500 pieces of ADI brass to use. I would like to chamber a new barrel in 6SLR (110 Freebore) to shoot the 105 Hybrids or similar. Seeing as the body is the same as 243 could I just run the brass through my Redding 6BR Type S dies to form the 30* shoulder then fireform? Or am I missing something obvious here.
    Thanks
    GoferDog

2. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

That's how we used to do it in the beginning except using the 6XC FL die. There was no SLR or as it used to be called 6mm Super X.

Idaho-Lefty and 1shot like this.
  3. GoferDog

GoferDog

So just push the shoulder back until I can close the bolt? I am going to skim the necks anyway.
    Thanks

4. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Yes sir, you got it.

5. Idaho-Lefty

Idaho-Lefty

To; Russell T, Nomad 47 or ANYONE with, "experience", LOADING the 6 SLR,.. Do FORSTER 6XC F L dies, do a descent job of sizing, down/ forming, the 6 SLR case, even tho they are,.. .122 shorter ?
    Will I have, "problems" using, the 6xc Forster Dies, "chambering" fired rounds, because the last 1/8th inch ISN'T getting sized ? Nomad 47 said, in another post that he had seven firings, on his brass with, NO prob's, so far.
    Could a .243 Win. RCBS Die with, the neck/shoulder area removed ( the Die cut off, just before, shoulder junction ) be used, to FL size the "Base" of, a 6 SLR case IF, needed ?? TIA

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

I used a 30'06 FL die early on to size the base of the case when needed. Or a 280 Body die I had.
    Yes I used the Forester 6XC dies early on when the case was still called the 6mm Super X and there was no dies available. But now with Widden Gunworks has 6SLR dies... I wouldn't mess around with all this, Just order a set.

Dgd6mm, 1shot and Idaho-Lefty like this.
  7. RussellJ

RussellJ

upload_2019-1-11_16-53-50.png

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  8. Idaho-Lefty

Idaho-Lefty

OK, thanks, I saw that, there are, 6xc Forster FL, Dies, on Sale for, $52.20 at Midway,. thought I'd ask !
    A full set with, the BR seater, included ! I'm just an ole' Guy on, a fixed income,.. AKA,. a "cheapie" ,. LOL !
    I also "heard" that, Bushing Dies, "could" create,.. "Doughnuts" ?? Thanks !

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

I used the 6XC die way back when for the SLR. Ordered a Whidden bushing die and couldn't be happier. For a seater, I use an arbor in line die. In regards to donuts, just have your smith throat your chamber so that you seat your bullets in front of the donut area, and all is well.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  10. Idaho-Lefty

Idaho-Lefty

Thanks all !