6 ppc question

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Bruce W, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Bruce W

Bruce W Silver $$ Contributor

At what temp would you consider using H4198 as opposed to 133 or lt 32.
    And where does H322 fit in this order.

I read where fellers are using 4198 and 322 in cooler temps. Previous experience appreciated.
    Thanks, Bruce

2. expiper

expiper

blend the 4198 and 322,,,Roger
    PS,,,take all your stuff and go to a NBRSA/IBS 100/200yd match and you will learn more in one w/e than in a lifetime of talking about it,,,

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. Bruce W

really, 50/50 or more 4198 as it gets colder ?

4. Link

Link

following

5. Link

Link

I shot the smallest group ever fireforming with h4I98. I was told I would get in trouble with that powder and went to LT. Maybe I should revisit ?

6. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Hint: It seems to me that 4198's reputation for showing rapid pressure increase with temperature increase in warm weather came from IMR rather than H4198 and while the speeds are similar, they are not the same powder at all because the H is one of Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders, specifically designed so that it will NOT show large pressure differences with changes in ambient temperature. The other issue with the IMR was the shape of the grains which made the powder more difficult to throw than others that were commonly used for the 6PPC. I do not have any of the H but I am told that it does not have that problem. So, IMO the H would be worth trying. If I were shooting more, I would, but given that my supply of 6PPC suitable powders is larger than my current needs I do not have much reason to go looking for another.

7. Bruce W

I did once load a hot load of H4198 in a 7 BR pistol that did show higher presuure at a higher temp then when I developed that load. However it was far over the recommended max charge. LINK,I am also shooting LT 32 with good success . Now that Im retired I am looking to shoot into the colder temps and was info gathering for colder temps. Maybe LT 32 will work in the cold . Maybe give LT 30 a try. But I have an eight pound jug of H4198 to shoot up. Its crazy all options that can be had when reloading. Hence the journey. Bruce

8. Link

Link

Doesn't seem to be much info being shared here. I think Boyd has given us a good hint. There are a few guys shooting H4I98 in my area for the cold weather. I was told never mix powders.? Link

9. LHSmith

LHSmith

The tune window for the 6 PPC is narrow......you have to continually tweak the load during a match to stay on top of the conditions. Any subtle change due to different lot of powder or the manner powder was stored will affect this tune. Supposedly those that are lucky enough to have some T-32 powder do not require hardly any tweaking. IMHO, T-32 has never been successfully duplicated - close but no cigar. The 30 BR on the other hand is a dream to use....... allows one to concentrate on conditions instead of trying to maintain tune.
    Yes , my notes say H-322 (extreme) does well in cooler temps. Again, there were many versions of 322 through the years and burn rates varied considerably.

10. Bruce W

yes tuning is required shooting the ppc . But my experience ( limited) has been that N133 just doesn't group like it does on a 90 degree day with lots of humidity. I thought many time about converting to the 30 BR. I will try some H4198 when the temps get below 60 *. I dont think Ill be venturing too far past 26 grains with this powder. I could also shoot lighter bullets . I had a xp 100 pistol that loved 55 Nos BT and 27.5 gr. of RL7. Again seeking expertise > Bruce

11. BartsBullets

BartsBullets

Bruce,

Part of the lack of answers I think is 4198 really isn't considered at all in the 6ppc reguardless of Temp. Many of us have tried 4198 and 322 in the ppc and couldn't stay on top of it. Really you'll just have to play with it and see what works for you.
    Like you I'm not crazy about 133. I tend to shoot more LT32 and LT 30. On the flip side I think 133 is much easier to work with durning the winter months.

Bart

WyleWD likes this.
  12. Bruce W

Bart, In your expieriance , does LT 32 loose velocity as temps decline, much like N133. It seems that most powders do and some the spread is more than others. That being said, do you use LT 30 in cooler temps ? Thanks, Bruce

13. BartsBullets

BartsBullets

Bruce,

I use all three powders Year around. I've chronographed nearly every shot I've put down range at home and in competition for the past two years. In the winter time velocities will slow down significantly with all three powders (equally).

It's not necessary to shoot a hotter powder in the winter (cold) to make a gun shoot. What I've seen is tune window drops about 100 fps from what is shooting durning the summer. You can run the bullet up to summer time velocities but it won't shoot there.

Back to your question.
    My preferred powder is V133 durning the winter months, I've shot 29.2 to 29.6 for the last three years in the winter. When it's cold and high humidity V133 is a model citizen. It just becomes a wild child when it warms up and humidity drops. When I'm competing LT30 is my preferred powder.

Bart

14. WyleWD

WyleWD Silver $$ Contributor

Bruce, In the above quote Bart makes an excellent but subtle suggestion that I underlined. All I would add to that is pick out 3 or 4 powders and shoot 5 shot groups with them often over the course of the year and .... Keep detailed written records with each target. We started this about 18 months ago and it has helped immensely and the trigger time is good too:). I really enjoy the 6ppc, they can be finiky rascals. A well tuned one is a good confidence builder. And what you can learn can sometimes be used to your benefit in loading for other rifles & calibers. JME, FWIW. WD

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM
  15. Bruce W

Shot this am . my gun is a panda/bartlein 268 neck 0 freebore with 1035 rounds down the bore . bullet was Hammond 62 gr. and cases have 7 firings on them . cci br 4 primer from left to right 1st group is lt 32 but is not a true representation of what this load does. bullets were loose in neck. next 4 are H4198 with about .002 neck tension. Primers look good and are comparable to the LT 32 load. measured with a calipers the best load is about .150. I also micrometered the case heads and there are no differances. Just passing it along . Usuall disclaimers apply .Bruce

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM