6 Dasher and RE-16

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Longtrain, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Longtrain

Longtrain

Just about to crack my last 8 pounder of N203B, and of course that means time to shop for powder. So, I have no issues with N203B (aka RE-15), and can really just stay with it, but I'm wondering how RE-16 and heavy 6mm bullets have faired in the Dasher. Thanks for any insight.

dmoran likes this.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop

Isn't RE-16 the same as RE-15 but with anti-coppering compounds added to the formula?

3. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

No Sir it is not. RL-15 has just about the same burn rate as Varget and RL-16 has just about the same burn rate as H4350>>>>quite a bit of difference..

SDDasher, LA50SHOOTER, Wooten and 2 others like this.
  4. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

5. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

RL16 is a great powder in the Dasher/BRX. It can give a bit more speed, especially with heavier bullets. It's very bulky. A drop tube's not mandatory but helpful. I use a 7" and it's perfect. Not every barrel and bullet combo will like it but but like Varget, RL15 and 4895 it should be on your short list.

dmoran likes this.
  6. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@Longtrain
    Your use of Norma 203B is a good choice in my opinion. It and it's twin brother RL15 have repeatedly proven to be great powders in 6Dasher and the 6mmBR family.

RL16 has worked well for me also in my 6Dasher's, that has both Pro's & Con's in comparison to RL15/N203B
    Pro's:
    - less temperature sensitivity (find it to be a very insensitive powder compared to most all powders)
    - less pressure at equal velocity, with higher energy capability
    Con's:
    - less density, "bulky"
    - compressed loads is the norm with it (particularly with shorter throated chambers) that can lead to bullet seating issue. Slow pours and long funnels (drop funnels) can greatly improve on fill and compression issue.

For me RL16 with the 105-class bullets has been equally as accurate as RL15 in every 6Dasher barrel that I have used it in. In one barrel, it is the most accurate powder I've used. Here is an example of what I see with it at 1000yds:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Longtrain

Longtrain

Thanks all for the info, @dmoran PM sent. It's not broken, so I'm not to fix it, staying with N203B.

dmoran likes this.
  8. SDDasher

SDDasher Wes Cummings Silver $$ Contributor

Not to beat a sounding like dead horse, but to answer the OP’s original post about RL16 & heavier bullets; I have found very good results with Sierra 110 MK’s and 35 grns of RL16 here in the Hot humid Florida panhandle @ 600yd matches at Hurlbert AFB.

Attached Files:

boltfluter and dmoran like this.
  9. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@6brmrshtr
    What twist-rate barrel are you using with the 110-SMK?

Mulligan likes this.
  10. fatelvis

fatelvis Silver $$ Contributor

Reloder 15 has “anti-copper” additives in it. Per Allianz rep’s response, all of the Reloder series, minus RL17, contains anti-fouling” additives.

11. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I chambered a fresh Broughton 7.3" in BRX for my #1 rifle last week and shot 1K F matches both days last weekend. It's showing great promise with RL16 and 110SMK's. It sped up on me Sunday, which I expected, but it shot REALLY good for Saturdays match.