6 Dasher, Alpha Brass

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by 6x47zach, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ASbobcat

ASbobcat Silver $$ Contributor

I agree. I am hoping that Alpha makes an equal product, or at least close. I would prefer to buy American.

Mulligan likes this.
  2. ASbobcat

ASbobcat Silver $$ Contributor

Thank you for your positive contribution to our knowledge of Alpha products.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

I gotta agree with this, I feel if they come up short it won't only hurt their Dasher brass sales but get them labeled as a less than Lapua option.. Risky I think, however if they take the pressure Lapua does and get a good cycle life, that would give them a good name...

Ray

4. Raythemanroe

I would not try to reinvent the Dasher, just get them to take the pressure and last..

Ray

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  5. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with you Alex on this. I don't think it's going to be possible to easily break into the BR market against Lapua. If it's not better then guys aren't going to do the testing and work to make the switch and start over. The only thing they're after is getting the absolute best to have a competitive advantage.

I do think there's some opportunity in the tactical/PRS crowd for Alpha brass. Lots of guys are interested in the Dasher but aren't into the technical side for meticulous fire forming and don't want to do the work. There's a big desire for plug-n-play in that crowd. All the guys I know who are shooting Dasher are the ones who are more serious in the sport and looking for a small competitive edge and willing to do the work to make it happen. I'm in that camp, I'll follow what the BR crowd is doing just for that slight edge, even if it meant more work fireforming Lapua. However there are a lot of guys who would switch to Dasher if it were easier.

Don't underestimate the size of the PRS market relative to BR either. Seems like every match we have is full and new shooters all the time. Plus PRS seems to use more brass. A weekend match might need 250 loaded rounds. Shooting in field conditions can result in lost brass of 20-30 pieces per match. Guys I know are buying 6BR brass 1000 cases at a time. I've got 900 Lapua 6BR cases myself.

johnnyi, Carl Ross and FatBoy like this.
  6. Carl Ross

Carl Ross

I agree with Sheldon, across the board. Not too surprising considering we play the same game. If Alpha was looking to steal Lapua customers in the BR or F-Class areas, it'd be a tough row to hoe and probably not worth it. I think the opportunity is in providing tactical match shooters with ready to go Dasher brass that works in a traditional Lapua Dasher chamber. While other BR variants are used, I'd estimate 70% of tactical match shooters who use a BR based case use the Dasher. If there was a no-fireform option, it's popularity would probably grow significantly, in a market subset that is already growing fast and is brass hungry.

I actually think if the Norma Dasher brass had been better received here, it would be a lot more popular for tactical match shooters. But the guys who were bothering to figure out the Dasher fireforming and mag feeding wanted every possible edge, and the Lapua is clearly favored by the BR guys who will notice the difference. Those shooters in turn recommend the Lapua route to the next guy who adopts a BR variant, and thus the trend is set. Our matches are (occasionally) won by guys shooting Hornady factory ammo, so while better is of course preferred, I think a Norma Dasher would be good enough for us 99% of the time. I'm running Lapua cases in my competition Dasher and trimmed Norma in my practice/loaner Dasher right now. I need to work up a load in the Norma cases and put a few more firings on them to see how everything goes. If it performs to my standards, I could see a Norma Dasher reamer in my future.

However, if Alpha starts production and the dimensions aren't screwy, I'd probably go that route.

Sheldon N likes this.
  7. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

I like Option B. If I could just load this brass and shoot it in my 6 Dasher I would buy a couple hundred pieces. I have heard good things about this company.

8. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I think Alpha should go for it. The PRS is a huge market and growing every day. Competition is always a good thing for the consumer. If they made brass that was plug and play they could easily own the PRS market for Dasher brass.:D

Paul

www.proprecisionrifles.com

Mulligan likes this.
  9. 6x47zach

6x47zach

While I do understand this is a primarily BR forum, PRS is growing by leaps and bounds at this point. and with Dahser being the latest greatest thing out there to say it would be a ill advised business venture at this point is silly. If there was a factory option, you would see 4x as many dasher shooters at prs and other tactical style matches just because to some people fire forming is the deciding factor. And lets face it lapua is not as great as it once was. It's still the standard, but I've seen some inconsistencies coming out recently.

10. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

The part I don't understand is why Lapua never got on the 300 WSM bandwagon. I'm not about to give up on the WSM its still the king of long range, and still holds the records for 10 shots a 1000 yard LIGHT GUN AND HEAVY. But I do have a Dasher but forming cases is no big deal. Oh and someone was saying they want something they don't have to fire form, well sorry no matter what brass you get you still have to fire form to your rifle. The 300 WSM shoots very well fire forming so may the Dashers or BRA if made to spec. But again there are to many different neck sizes to try and come up with something that will work for everyone, I guess you could start with the no turn and turn from there. I'll keep doing what works for me.

Joe Salt

11. Raythemanroe

Just give it time Joe, It will be like you were in your hay day.. Bra's will be the only thing on your mind..

Ray

Mulligan and 6MMsteve like this.
  12. johara1

johara1

Ray, Joe's get up and go, got up and went......... LMAO.... Jim

6MMsteve and Raythemanroe like this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

10 shot 6 match and 10 match aggs are held by a dasher
    10 shot small group LG also dasher

www.mt1000yd.com
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/best-10-shot-1000-yard-group-in-history-be-amazed/

14. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I have a question that has bugged me for quite some time. PREFACE: It is obvious that 6mms, like the Dasher, BRX, BRA and the like are exceedingly accurate>>>>and they hold that accuracy out to 1000 yards. However, I also know that when the wind B-L-O-W-S (not necessarily hard, just switchy with pick-ups and let-offs) that 6mms get blown about pretty severely. I also know that some 6.5's and the .300WSM can be very accurate indeed. I also know that they are blown about somewhat less in those aforementioned conditions.
    Now for the QUESTION: During the "competition year", week in week out, month in month out, over the course of time, do the larger caliber WIN most matches. I know they MAY not set any new records, but will they WIN more often than not, over the course of the competition year?

15. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

It depends on the range. If the range is really bad yes, the bigger cases tend to win. But as a whole on average, the 6mms win the most.

16. ShootDots

Thank You... That question has bugged me for quite some time.. Thanks again..

17. Raythemanroe

My answer is shoot both.. WSM's score well and they can shoot.. If I knew before hand that conditions were gonna suck I would leave the BRA home.. Yet if you get good conditions or steady winds you are gonna be hard pressed to beat the 6mm's..

Ray

18. ShootDots

Thanks Ray.. I actually do that at 2 day F-Open matches. Some of the relays are going to have less wind than others. For those matches, I take a SUPER accurate rifle>>>> I also have one that does good in the wind for those matches that are huffing and puffing..

johnnyi and Raythemanroe like this.
  19. johara1

johara1

Funny how guys try to beat the conditions with a big caliber and a heavy bullet. If you learn to read the wind the Dasher will prevail. I saw it many times. Accuracy and a good barrel trumps all, with the ability read the wind...... Jim

R.Morehouse likes this.
  20. ShootDots

You are exactly right Jim! Accuracy + wind reading will trump all. There is only 1 fly in that ointment. I know of nobody on this planet, shooting F-Open, over the course of 30 minutes in a single match, in "troubling" conditions, who can actually "read the wind". The fact that we try and use larger calibers is an admission that nobody can accurately read tricky wind. If there was a way to do it, everyone would be shooting Dashers at a Long-Range F-Open Championship. However, I have never seen a small caliber win at the Berger S.W. Nationals at 1000 yards! It is simply too difficult.