6 Dasher, Alpha Brass

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by 6x47zach, Nov 2, 2017.

1. 6x47zach

6x47zach

As some of you know, there is a company called Alpha Munitions. They are producing some amazing brass that is extremely consistent, I would put it on par with Lapua, but you are getting brass that is in ammo boxes and not all dinged up from the factory.

There has been some small conversation about them bringing Dasher brass to the market. There is a lot that goes into setting up new tooling, and getting a brand new case onto the line. The goal would be to follow the existing dasher chamber specs (avoiding what happened with the norma offering). I am trying to get this out as a way to test the waters and see how many people would be willing to A) get into a dasher with great brass available and no fire forming needed. B) Would consider making the switch from their current brass for what would be hopefully a more consistent brass offering.

There is a ton that goes into bringing a new case to market, so I will be emailing them this thread so they can see the response from a tougher crowd since over in the PRS world we are just playing a different game.

2. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter.

Nah do a BRX. Then we could easally shoot BRX or dasher. More market. Both would be load and shoot solutions.

KMart and 500Stroker like this.
  3. ncboiler

ncboiler

Alpha is making top notch brass. I have been forming their 260 brass into 6 Competition Match and it's been great and consistent. It has shot better fire forming than previous loads. I'm sure if they would make 6 Dasher brass it would be very good stuff.

I have sent them messages on both Facebook and through their website. Please do the same if you have any interest. I for one would really like to see this happen.

4. Eagle1899

Eagle1899

The only thing stopping me from having a Dasher is fire forming. I detest it.

If Alpha is going to go forward with this, the brass must be Lapua Dasher based. The whole Norma deal really soured a lot of people on the idea of an load and shoot Dasher.

oakfig, bblackwell and walker2713 like this.
  5. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Norma is making Dasher Brass with the .050 Longer Neck right now.
    Bullets.com sell it and the Dies and reamer.
    I have bought the Brass and Reamer for a new build.

I would love to see Brass from another Company..
    Don

6. ASbobcat

ASbobcat

I sent an e-mail to Lapua with this very thought. Perhaps they would be more motivated if enough of us did the same.

7. North Fork

North Fork

It would be nice to have dasher brass with out all the work to get it to shot

8. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

What neck and print would it be configured from?

Joe Salt

9. Skunce

Skunce Gold $$ Contributor

Bullets.com is listing improved Norma 6 Dasher F Class brass. Supposed to have a special alloy and treatment to improve the durability of the primer pocket. The rims are also the correct thickness now. I haven't used any.

10. ASbobcat

ASbobcat

I spoke with Alpha tech this week and they confirmed that they are seriously considering producing Dasher brass, along with several other cases, within the next six months. They are in a rapid growth phase as more of us discover them, and are very busy just keeping up with demand for current products while also adding different product lines.
    My biggest question was about durability, since I haven't seen a lot of user reviews as to number of load cycles that can be reasonably expected. They could not give a definitive answer one way or the other, so I would like to hear feedback from customers.

11. FatBoy

FatBoy

after all that happened with the Norma brass (which I like) I cannot imagine any of the vocal opponents will be happy with anything that is produced. If it's not rolled off exactly to their spec, lasts 50 loads (because "all of us" use 30 pieces of brass for the life of a barrel - great sales point) and they have to tweak a load even .2gr it's gonna be the end of the world and the brass is junk.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies, and if was researching the marketability of Dasher brass I would walk away. Too much whining from those so emotionally invested has too much potential to generate a lot of negative press and kill the sales before recouping tooling money.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    KevinThomas, Mudder, WyleWD and 4 others like this.
  12. ASbobcat

ASbobcat

An emotionally invested, whining rant from someone who's complaining about emotional investment and whining?
    That's funny. I needed a good laugh on a Monday morning.

I do not expect brass to last 50 reloads. I expect 100 or more, because that's been my experience with Lapua.

I am glad to hear that you like Norma brass. That's one less customer I will have to wait behind in case I ever need to order more Lapua brass (no likely anytime soon).

Rdlningcltchdmpr likes this.
  13. FatBoy

FatBoy

you misunderstand, but then I'd expect that from the Dasher cult.

great sales point BTW. I'm sure Alpha will be chomping at the bit to invest in tooling and R&D after that.

14. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

All they need to make is 6br brass. That covers all the wildcats. I'd rather see some WSM brass.

DT and walker2713 like this.
  15. Loggins J

Loggins J

Yes

16. oakfig

oakfig

Has anyone tried the Dasher f class brass yet?

17. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I do not think it would be wise for them to make it. The dasher is still by a large margin a Benchrest cartridge. Unless they know for fact that their cases are BETTER in every way than Lapua, guys will testing them and if they are not they will never buy again. If they are equal to Lapua no one will buy them. They have to be BETTER for guys to change. The 6BRA is catching on fast as well.

WyleWD and RV6 like this.
  18. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

Alex, While I normaly agree with you on 'bout everything, I see an opportunity for another manufacture (er). If the cases are equal, there will be a lot of folks that appreciate American made enough to give them a real chance not just a fleeting try. And you know the BR crowd is not above stampedeing from one cartridge, ( action, barrel etc ) to another. Re: the 6BRA. What is being attributed to the cartridge may well be the few very meticulous gunsmiths. (maybe).
    One more thing no one thinks about. In the late '80s, early '90s, our world TTS and you could not buy a Sako case for lovenermoney. We're not living on granite, we're living on sand.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Mudder and ASbobcat like this.
  19. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

My advise is to Alpha. From my point of view they wont sell enough cases. BR guys wont switch, they didnt switch to Norma. Most wouldnt even try. So you looking at the tactical crowd and varmint crowd. Just not a big enough market. Thats just how I see it. I think they would sell a lot more 28 Nosler or 338 rum cases. All they have to do is beat the price of $2 each and the market wont be as critical.

FatBoy and Charles like this.
  20. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I believe you are correct! Now here is some food for thought for Alpha.. If they make "straight" .284 brass, they would pick up hunters, and a BOAT-LOAD of F-Open shooters. You can do straight .284 and the shooters of Shehanes or Walkers can fireform their brass. AND those fellows shooting 6.5 x 284 could simply neck it down. Lapua already makes 6.5 x 284, however, they DO NOT make straight 284, which in MY opinion is a mistake. They should drop the 6.5 x 284 line and go to a straight .284..

FeMan, MikeMcCasland, 17VLD and 7 others like this.