6 creedmore bullet strikes at long range

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by ba_50, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ba_50

ba_50

I am trying to decide between 6c and 6.5 cm for shooting out to 1000 or occassional coyote.
    Sometimes a 178 /06 bullet strike can be difficult to see.
    The 6c is all I need in Illinois but how much more difficult will it be to bullet strikes on a pasture hillside?

2. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I wish I could give you a reduction of spotability(new word) in percentages, but can't. Vegetation swallows 6mm bullets, a berm or backstop helps immensely. Then throw in conditions, ground soaking wet(ok), ground moist(bad), really dry(ok). Then thrown in condition of the grass, high-low etc... The hillside will assist a lot compared to shooting over flat ground.
    You never did say if this is a range, with berms or backstops, or just setting targets on the hillside.
    Every time you step down a caliber, spotting shots becomes more difficult, you're going down 3. Find someone close with a 6mm and have him throw some lead downrange at the location.

3. Grimstod

Grimstod Web Designer for PremierAccuracy.com Gold $$ Contributor

To answer your question I would pick the 6.5. My own 6mm guns are much harder to spots shots on especially on hillsides. There are a lot of factors though. two would be how dry it is and also the bullet. Expanding bullets make larger dust clouds on impact and are easier to see in my experience.

Consider a 6.5x47 Lapua. It is easier to tune and more accurate. It seams to win all the PRS matches. here is a collection of 100 top winnings. Not this is not a chart from a single match. Rather its a collection of matches combined and averaged together.
    [​IMG]

4. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

PM sent

5. Milo 2.0

I wish you'd expand on this tidbit of wisdom, that statement tells me you do not or have not shot a lot. A hillside is a paradise to set a target.

6MMsteve likes this.
  6. Grimstod

Maybe that is because you do not hit your target as often as I do ;)

All joking aside. I shoot a lot. My shooting area has nice 4x8ft boards that we hang our targets on and there is a mound of dirt (hill) behind them. Now I pretty much always hit paper, so my splashes are behind the board. With the 6.5mm bullets I can often see the splash as its eruption is so big it often extends beyond the target boards. Now the 6mm not so much.

Does that make sense?

7. Milo 2.0

Also, you are manipulating data, tell the whole story, below is caliber used chart from 3 yrs past, last yr 64% of PRS shot 6mm, far cry from what you posted here.
    Capture6.PNG

8. Grimstod

I could have just as easily recommended a 6mm cartridge but he was asking about bullet splash. Not who wins the most between 6mm and 6.5mm. My chart was picked in reference to the topic at hand. Not a which bullet is better debate. The chart you just put up does not seam to have anything to do with his question.

9. Milo 2.0

Ok, lol, I'll give you that one, I was referring to steel targets w/o any berm. My apologies, what you said makes sense. Though in my experience, by the time you see dust from behind something, lots can get lost in translation of what happened.

Grimstod likes this.
  10. Milo 2.0

You're right, it was intended for your response.

Grimstod likes this.
  11. Grimstod

Ok ya steel is another ball game. I agree with you that for steel 6mm is plenty.
    1000y with steel it gets a little hard to hear the ring though with a 6mm this I would caution.

12. Milo 2.0

I don't want to start an argument with you, but at times your incessant infatuation with the 6.5x47 becomes annoying. This is coming from a guy who shot 2 of them for 7 yrs running. I loved the case too, one of the most efficient available. But as everything, it has it's limitations.

13. Grimstod

Nooo. The 6.5x47 is not even my favorite cartridge. My 7.62x54r is actually my favorite and in close second is the 6BRX, although it may surpass it. We shall see. Third favorite is the 6PPC, why is not that the most popular cartridge I will never understand. I have sorta given up pushing the 6PPC even as great as it is. I always mention to people the 47 cause it does not get a lot of media coverage.

14. Milo 2.0

Understood, I may steer close friends in a direction, because I can help them, but get no points for anyone shooting what I do, mostly for lack of concern.
    People really learn a lot more on their own, esp when mistakes play.

fredo and Grimstod like this.
  15. ba_50

ba_50

I shoot steel but sometimes the wind can be tough. Reckon bigger is better.
    My hillsides can change from year to year. The best is close cropped grass with light snow on the ground.

16. Milo 2.0

You never mentioned the distances involved? For steel to 1300 or so, a 105 hybrid at 3100 fps will out do most short action 6.5 cases shooting 140 class bullets going under 2900fps. My experience and opinion.

17. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

Why have to choose from the above. Throw a 140 Hybrid at 3000 or better with a .260 Ackley and have the knowledge that you also have a weapon more capable for hunting.

18. Sitsntree

Sitsntree

Its easier for me to spot my (hits) or misses with the 6mm just because of less recoil and I stay in the scope better than the 6.5

rardoin likes this.
  19. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

For your stated purpose I like 6mm running 105 Hybrid. Very light recoil and spot hits easily.

20. ebb

ebb

I don't care what you shoot if you hit dirt or a rock it will MAYBE make dust. I can't see hits with the 338 any better than the 6.5 when you hit grass or the dirt is damp. But maybe Grimstod has super strike bullets or some other miracle the rest of us don't.