6 Creedmoor

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by quillow, Mar 30, 2013.

1. quillow

quillow

I posted earlier about a smith to build a 6 Super LR. A good friend of mine said I should take a good look at the 6 CM. I have done searches for this but don't get much info back. From what I gather Hornady is the only die maker? The brass is necked down 6.5CM brass, can it be made from other brass? I hear you can make it from 243 brass also with a special die, not sure. Is there actual load data in manuels for this round?

2. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

6CM is the 6mm Competition Match not the Creedmoor. Gets confusing sometimes with folks listing the 6.5 Creedmoor as 6.5CM.

RT

3. quillow

quillow

The round I am refering to is the 6.5 Creedmoore necked down to 6mm.

4. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

6mm Creedmoor brass can be made from243 Win brass but it will end up long and you will likely push a doughnut into the neck You can also make it from 22-250 brass but it will end up a little short. The 6.5 Creedmoor brass is very good quality. It seems every May/June it becomes very plentiful again then we go through a shortage in the Winter. Lapua 22-250 brass is considerably thicker and doesn't seem to hold pressure any better than the Hornady brass so loads need to be reduced a little when using the Lapua 22-250 brass.
    I am using a 6.5 Creedmoor FL die that I converted to a bushing die.
    I think most of the 6mm Creedmoor reamers are a .272" neck. The old original plain box brass will measure .270" with a bullet seated. The newer brass unturned with a bullet measures .274". So plan on turning necks.

My best accuracy has been with 105 A-maxes, running 3170 fps. I have had some luck with 115 DTACs I don't recall now the speed but was still a little faster than I wanted.
    I have not seen any load data in any manuals but guess I haven't looked lately.
    You should be safe using 243 Win load data. Case capacity is identical to the lot of Lapua 243Win that I compared it to. Cartridge length is of course a little shorter with the Creedmoor.

James

5. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker

6mm Creedmoor brass can be purchased. There are some guys who have asked Hornady to produce some runs and they have done it for them. GA precision is one place that I was told to try but I think there are two. You should be able to make brass out of 22-250, but I don't know how good it will turn out or what steps are involved. I briefly looked into this round. I was told by some guys that tried it, that it didn't work that well. I don't know what their expectations were or the results they achieved, but they abandoned the idea. It still sounds interesting to me especially since the case is short enough that you should be able to get the bullet seated out in the neck and still be able to run it in a short action magazine.

6. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Sounds like a 6XC to me?? Guess I dont see the point of going through the hassle other than having something diferent.

RT

7. Raptor

Raptor

What Rtheurer said, 6XC would be really close and its a great round!!!

8. confuzed

confuzed

the 6xc round is virtually identical ,I have some friend s who shoot them but the brass life is not as good as the norma in 6xc

9. BrotherO

BrotherO Silver $$ Contributor

They are very similar, left Hornady 6 Creed next to a Norma 6XC right side.
    [​IMG]

Sorry first time posting pictures

10. jcvibby

jcvibby

I love the 6 creed. Awesome little round. Does not push the 105 as fast as the 243 does but lately there has been speed limits on all these matches and the 6 creed seems to push them right at max speed limit for matches. And very accurately!

11. captacademy

captacademy

JC, I too am looking at the 6 Creedmoor. Do you think it's worth the hassle with the shortage of brass and lack of a micro seater die? Would I be better off with a 6 XC

12. jcvibby

jcvibby

The 6 Creed brass is available right now. McCourt Ammunitions still has a bunch available. And hornady dies are available as well.

Good luck getting 6XC dies and brass. I did take a look at the 6xc before deciding on the 6 Creed.

Either way, good action, good barrel, and careful loading and its going to be a hammer no matter what. Just my opinion

13. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Actually, 6Creedmoor, looks almost the same as the 240NMC!

14. captacademy

captacademy

Thanks JC

15. BrotherO

BrotherO Silver $$ Contributor

Yeah Captacademy, McCourt is who I bought my 6 creed brass from.

Froggy, I'm not familiar with the 240NM.

16. chrisj

chrisj

240 NMC is a 22-250 case with wall blown out and necked to 6mm. Been around for quite some time... was here before 6xc and 6 Creedmoor but had no big name tied to it so never went anywhere.

17. Deton8tor

Deton8tor Gold $$ Contributor

If you go with the 6mm Creedmoor, Sniper's Hide has brass as well as OTM in Jacksonville. Or, both had it in the recent past.

18. Josh Butler

Josh Butler

I think the 6-6.5X47 lapua would be better. IMO better brass and small rifle primers!

Grimstod likes this.
  19. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

The 6XC is a much more established and successful round compared to the 6Creedmoor.

Also give the 6-6.5x47 a look. It will cost less to shoot and the small primer pocket is a big advantage.

Josh Butler likes this.
  20. Kurz

Kurz

The original post is from nearly 3-1/2 years ago...

6mm Creedmoor brass is available through GA Precision in their webstore. It's $69.00/100 but can be purchased in larger amounts with a little savings.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/100-pieces-6-mm-creedmoor-brass-new-unprimed-hornady-mfg.html

Copper Creek sells loaded cartridges for competition.

The 6mm Creedmoor along with the 6.5 Creedmoor are the most popular cartridges for shooting in the PRS competitions. There is a very comprehensive article on the PRS blog regarding the data collected for the last 3 years.

Regards.