6 CM with Lapua brass

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by ratbuster, Feb 9, 2018.

1. ratbuster

ratbuster Silver $$ Contributor

I am impressed with the testimonials from many 6 CM owners about barrel life and accuracy in general so I am keen on getting one started.

Lapua has done very well for me in the past so I am partial to it. On the other hand I have heard from a few 6 CM shooter that get up to 20 loadings with Winchester brass. Has anyone heard how Lapua holds up with this cartridge?

Also does anyone know what is the loaded neck diameter with Lapua?

Thanks for your replies!

Phil Schmidt

2. waterdog

waterdog Gold $$ Contributor

The loaded neck diameter is .271 on my 6CM. The brass is necked down 6.5 CM Lapua brass. I haven’t shot it enough to make a decision on how long the brass will last but I can’t imagine anything doing better than Lapua.

3. ratbuster

You are talking about a 6 Creedmoor, correct? A 6 CM is a 6 Competition Match.

4. teele1

teele1 Silver $$ Contributor

my 6CM, 6MM Competition Match, measures .271 with 115 DTACs and mine is .243 Lapua brass reloaded at least 3 times previously

and thats the TRUE 6CM notice in Creedmoor the M is mot capitalized

Grimstod likes this.
  5. ratbuster

Thank you for that info Teele. I'm thinking of cleaning up the necks (maybe 75%) to improve uniformity. Would .2745 neck dia. be about right given the cleanup?

Also does anyone run a longer freebore over .125 or more? My application is single load so no mag length limitations. I would like to be able to keep the bullet base clear of potential donuts.

6. teele1

teele1 Silver $$ Contributor

mine is no cut and .271 so if you clean up if should be less

7. ratbuster

I'm thinking after cleanup that loaded diameter would be maybe .270 so the chamber neck diameter should be .2745?

8. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

I tried some 6.5 Creedmoor Peterson brass. I’m a Lapua fan but I had heard good things and wanted to try some. It’s probably the most uniform brass I’ve ever dealt with, cheaper than Lapua too. I think it was 37.00 per 50. I’m on my eighth firing and have no signs of case head expansion shooting a load a grain or so under max. Just throwing that out there, I’ll be trying more as they come out with more Cartridges.

AP2020 likes this.
  9. AP2020

AP2020

Yes, I apologize. I was alluding to the 6mm Creedmoor.

I spoke with Petersen brass and will be testing their brass, too.

Johnny Barlow likes this.
  10. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I talked to a guy at the end of January, he is getting a 6mm Competition Match(6CM) chambered. He has been running Petersen Brass in his rifles and will be using it in his 6CM. Joe Hendricks has been calling the cartridge 6CM for short since the very beginning, 2005, before the 6.5 Creedmoor was on the market.

teele1 likes this.