6 BRNI

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by jamesdmock, May 17, 2018.

1. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

Excuse the name (I just made it up). My question is: Can a chambering very similar to the 6 BRA be made with the 6 Norma Dasher reamer run in ~.080 short? The neck would be a little different I am sure, but it may make an interesting project. What do you think? James

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Isn't that what Bart was shooting when he shot the recent 600 yard records? I think he mentioned just that, in one of his posts about it. It may have been in the article on here, about it as well.
    I might be wrong. Maybe he'll chime in.

edit...Here we go. Post #113
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/bart-sets-new-600-record.3950868/page-6#post-37212337

BartsBullets likes this.
  3. idahoorion

idahoorion

James

I looked at this the other day when on another thread someone asked about running a L.dasher in short. My Norma brass neck length is different than Lapua 6 br. the br is longer. Measuring at the .200 line is likely close. But I have no clue it that would be workable. It would be a bit different than a 6 BRA. but likely act the same. There would be additional neck trimming off Lapua 6 brass if that was what you were forming out of.

I have a Norma dasher reamer if anybody wants to give it a go.

Idahoorion

4. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I thought that the Norma version would work better than the Lapua because of the longer neck in the Norma Dasher.

5. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I don't think Bart specified so I'd assume it was a std dasher reamer he used. I think you have a good idea. At least the longer neck can't hurt, IMO. I'm not familiar enough with it to say about potential sizing issues but f the reamer is just a Lapua Dashger with a longer neck, it shouldn't be a problem

6. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

I used what I had on hand and used a BRDX reamer and 6BR go gauge in my first 6BR-AI and named it Shawty because of the shorter neck, I have also used the Norma Dasher and the difference in neck length was only a few thousands of an inch. I read about his smith using a Dasher reamer also, and would not be suprised if t it was the Norma version.

The dimensions of .271" and .104" are the same as the Norma Dasher, makes more compelling evidence.

7. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!

8. idahoorion

idahoorion

So Bart, you say sssshhhhhh and I hear ok and just shorten the die .082? iszatright?

Idahoorion

9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You can but the neck is still going to be short. The chamber length on the Norma dasher is 1.605". .080 short is going to be 1.525

10. BartsBullets

Dean will have to answer the particulars! But he used a Norman reamer and held it short. My particular bra is about .030 longer then most.

Bart

11. tclaunch

Perfect size boiler room !

12. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

How about a standard BR reamer first to get the neck length right. Then shorten up the Dasher reamer to get the shoulder right.

13. tclaunch

Would work great

Stan Taylor and CaptainMal like this.
  14. tclaunch

1.525" plus .030" is 1.555" chamber length. Dean is on to something!!

I had my JGS Norma Dasher done with chamber length of 1.610" minus 1.565" would holding it .045" short.....hummmmm.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Mulligan likes this.
  15. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

.030 longer at the shoulder or the case length?

16. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Something between a BRA and DX, a DS?

17. BartsBullets

Shoulder

18. tclaunch

DS would certainly be fitting "Dean Stroud"

19. ASbobcat

ASbobcat Silver $$ Contributor

While searching for a BRI case that would optimize RL17 behind 105-107gr bullets, I chose a solution that essentially seems to be what this thread addresses.
    I liked the capacity of the Dasher, but not the short neck. I also liked the BRDX, but not it's wider shoulder. So I ran a Dasher Norma reamer in .015" short and ended up with case capacity that is within 1gr of the Dasher but with a longer neck. I am able to use Dasher dies by grinding .015 off the bottom.
    Performance is 3150 fps in a 28in Krieger with 105/107gr bullets over 36gr of RL17 in Lapua brass..
    Accuracy 0.3moa and 0.1moa vertical and virtually unlimited case ( 10 reloads so far with no expansion of primer pockets) and barrel life.

20. idahoorion

idahoorion

Asbobcat,

how is that to fireform? any tricks to it? and do you drop off some powder during the summer months or do you switch powders? (temp sensitivity). that speed is impressive.