6 BRA easy button?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by MDM, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MDM

MDM Silver $$ Contributor

Is there an easy button as far as getting set up with dies and a reamer? IF I go this route, I'll be running this in PRS matches, so I know there might be some challenges to feeding. Right now, I'm just looking for a vanilla reamer I can order for 105s that been proven too work well and the most simple way to get dies to get up and running. I'll be doing my own work and I'd rather get something from JGS if there is a print # that is well established and working well. I also should mention that I'm not interested in turning necks. Thanks a ton!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Sheldon N

Sheldon N

This is my 6BRA specs shooting PRS, 105 hybrids.

.272 neck
    .200 line .4715
    .4605 at shoulder
    Freebore length .104, FB diameter .244
    case length 1.570

For dies I use Forster Full Length Dasher sizing die, shortened by 0.082, neck honed to .265. I use in conjunction with an expander mandrel after the FL sizing to expand back up to 0.002 neck tension. You could tweak the neck hone diameter based on your brass and desired workflow. Forster dies seem to be a good match with this reamer size, I get around 0.0006 sizing at the base (3rd firing).

3. MDM

Do you happen to have a print number that would be on file with a reamer maker?

4. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

It's called 6BR :)

MNbogboy likes this.
  5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Whidden has Wheelers reamer print for the dies and JGS has the print to make the reamer & Alex's O.K. to let out to others..........I have the reamer print in front of me & i don't see a print #........But i AM old.........o_O......JGS 541-267-4331

Best Regards
    Rick

dogdude likes this.
  6. MDM

Thank you!

7. Sheldon N

Sheldon N

Just an FYI, that reamer number is Alex Wheeler's print that has a .268 neck. Basically the same specs I quoted above, my reamer was based on his info but with minor tweaks made by my gunsmith and a change to a .272 neck.

MDM likes this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

How bout a 243? 6.5x47 or creedmore? For PRS i always recommend one of these for numerous reasons- they feed like butter, brass is abundant- in the speed rounds you can get win brass for the 243 and dont lose your concentration when brass goes flying into the tall grass, loads are abundant and theres very little load work up, commercial mags off the shelf feed like butter, you can borrow ammo from another competitor. No way id stray from the mainstream- theres no accuracy advantage gained in that game by using a full benchrest round

GSPV and Sniper338 like this.
  9. Sniper338

Sniper338

^^^^^^^^^ read that again!

10. Sheldon N

Sheldon N

Virtually no one is shooting 243 in PRS. 6.5x47 is a good solid choice, 6.5 Creed is pretty mainstream but is not what the top level PRS guys are running.

Of the top 10 finishers in the PRS National series this year, the majority were shooting Dasher. I know several PRS shooters are experimenting with the 6BRA. Personnally I see the 6BRA as basically a Dasher with a long neck. I've got a Dasher barrel and a 6BRA barrel for my match gun, both run a 105 Hybrid at the exact same speed, 2955fps. Both have won matches for me.

A lot of this is flavor of the month stuff (at least for PRS where it doesn't matter what your 1000 yard aggregate group is), but I do like the 6BRA so far.

11. 72coug

72coug

what is the seater die of choice for the 6BRA? will the dasher seater get it done?

milanuk likes this.
  12. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I have chambered up BRA barrels for PRS shooters, a few are on their second and third so I guess they like em. Everything goes full circle and at the end of the day accuracy trumps.

Mulligan and MDM like this.
  13. MDM

I've been shooting 6.5x47 for oh, about 8 years now in various matches and prs style comps. It's my go to and has done quite well for me. I tried the 6-47 last year, its ok, I just don't like how fast the load changes with throat erosion. Dasher is the latest craze in PRS, as you know, but I'm looking to try something a little different maybe.

14. MDM

Standard 6br go gauge for headspacing?

15. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Yes

16. MDM

I'm going to order a reamer Monday. I'll be going with a no turn neck. Seems like Harrel's #3 dies set back .080. I want to talk to Forster to see what they can do as well.

Clucknmoan and ridgeway like this.
  17. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Do the Harrell's...quick easy and works. You'll have it in 2 days...

comagutsa and MDM like this.