6 BR , how long throat should I get

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by DanS, Dec 5, 2018.

1. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

Does this mean that there is no max length that you have watch for. Cases can't grow long enough to cause problems. TKS

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. DanS

DanS

Santa came early. It's a Kimber Montana wearing a #2 Shilen SS 1-8, cut to 20" and threaded.

So far it feeds everything I give it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to have to put some paint on that shiny barrel.

Oh yea, removed the windage knob and added the high dollar cap. Forgot the blue tape. LOL

[​IMG]

Loaded up some 58VMAX with IMR8208, same load i use in another rifle, but this chamber has a little tighter headspace. I think I will be happy with it. With this light barrel and total weight, the rifle shoots under MOA out to 300, closer to 1/2 MOA, with ME yanking the trigger. I may pull the 6X scope and put a more powerful one one to see if I can tighten the groups, just for S&G's. But first I want to tag a few coyotes with it.

3. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot zero freebore with 55,58,60,62,65, and 70g bullets...all work supurb with H335 and 2230 with Rem 7 1/2. Cold climates, H322 for an extreme powder. 60g Sierra is one heck of a coyote bullet, along with a 60g & 62g Bergers if you can find any.

I think that you will have trouble with 75g V maxes blowing up on shoulders in the 8T.

I like 4-16's on my coyote rifles because it is a better all round varmint rifle with the extra power...crows...

4. DanS

DanS

I have a brown paper bag 1/2 full of 60g Sierra HP's. I bought as seconds from Sierra. I may load some up. I think I used them and H322 in my old 6x45 years ago.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  5. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

What twist are you using.TKS

6. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC

Your statement is why you might consider annealing.

7. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

My 6BR reamer has a .060" lead. I have shot from 68gr Bart's Ultras to 105 Berger VLDs with it. They all shoot very well.

8. Phil3

Phil3

Covering a very wide range of bullets just means compromise, so I decided to use short freebore for my 65 - 68 grain flat based bullets at 100 - 300 yards, and will put on another barrel for long range heavy stuff if I need. Mine is a Savage, so already have all the tools I need. As others have noted, barrel wear can change what works in the barrel later vs what it is when new. This means over the life of the barrel, you may be changing bullet more often than you wish, if you continue to play with the extremes in workable bullet weights.

Phil

9. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

If Shilen chambered it as a 6BR Norma, I'd assume it was chambered for the 105's. Unless I'm mistaken, that was the Norma modification to the 6BR Rem. Do you have an OAL gage you can measure CBTO at touch?

10. DanS

DanS

Shilen was the barrel blank, SkeetLee did the gunsmith work and chambered it for me. I am very happy with it.

11. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Being able to reach the lands if needed for accuracy for a range of weights?
    We
    My smith and I solved that problem by making our 6XC brass from Palma 308. We left the neck long, nearly .400". This allowed shorter throating. Seat the shorties or the heavies wherever you want.
    How does it shoot? A LOT of zeroes in his hand. Brass life? 800 rds w/19 cases before bbl stopped shooting zeroes. It's a solid two shooter now with mid ones often enough. That may give a clue to throat wear keeping the flame front inside the case. He found nodes between 3100+ to over 3250+ w 107 Sierra's...he was stepping on it. No boutique bullets were harmed or used in his Long Neck experiment. ;)

All in all he has found long bbl life w that X Caliber bbl, .0004" throat wear at 800 rds and can shoot shorties as well as the SMK 107. What's not to like with an extended neck?

12. DanS

DanS

TAJ45,
    I have a couple 6XC's but haven't shot them much sine getting setup with the 6BR's. Honestly, I don't know if I am good enough to even shoot in the 2's consistently. :)

Also these are sporter rifles, with #2 and #4 contour barrels. I will look into some of that brass.