6.5x55mm Swede

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by coblenblueface, Aug 19, 2013.

1. coblenblueface

coblenblueface

Hey, Greetings form Germany. Me and my father-in-law have a few Swedes that we are trying to get the best out of. 2 M38s and a M96. We use Hornady bullets with lapua cases with N140 powder. We think our reloading set up may be holding us back as we average mid 90s in competition out of 10 shots. On a sled we get the same due to fliers. We have standard RCBS dies and a beam scale. Any suggestions? Wantin a trophy next county championship and needin a 98 score minimum.

2. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Site $$ Contributor

I would weigh the bullets and do a very light turning of the necks to take off any high spots. I would also try some sierra or lapua bullets and weigh them looking for odd heavy or light ones and use those to foul the bore before a match.You might try different primers and see if it helps get rid of the flyers.But a military gun shooting that good is fantastic in my mind compared to sporters that can do not much better accuracy than you have. You might try reloader 22 as I have had pretty good results with it myself.

3. 357Mag

357Mag

Coblen -

Howdy !

IMHO -
    N140 to me, sounds a bit "fast" for this application.... as regards powder burn rate.

- Have you tried any "slower burning " powders ?

- Have you tried out a variety of different primers ?

With regards,
    357Mag

4. Exercion

Exercion

My go-to powders for the Swede are RL-22 or H4831SC, under 140gr Hornady AMAX bullets. Wolf primers, Lapua cases. Seat them as long as you like, just leave a little bullet in the case. It's been my experience that the AMAX 140's tolerate the jump. May try some Berger Hybrids in the near future since they seem to like jump as well.

Eric

5. letronshootit

letronshootit

My M96's like 41gr. RL17, 139gr. PRVI or 140gr. A-max, CCI BR2 primer. Bullet seated out as far as you can with the long throats. I was using Norma brass also.