6.5x47 Lapua Varget for 130 HVLD

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by CTK, Oct 22, 2018.

1. CTK

CTK Silver $$ Contributor

I have lost my Berger load data for the 130 HVLD. I have my own data for RL16 and H4350. Looking for a max load for Varget. I have no intention of starting at max and just curious where most people top out with Varget and where they find their upper node. I am guessing it is in the 37gr range. Thanks!

Secondary question... I had a, multiple times verified, .25" load last year at 38gr Varget and the 120 Ballistic Tip. Groups really tightened up as I approached 38gr and no signs of pressure. I figured what the heck, loaded 20 and sighted in the rifle with a couple of 38.1gr loads. I used hunting for the season. I shot some of these loads the other day and my groups opened up to .5"ish. Would .1gr and maybe 20 degrees warmer temp really impact things .25"? I am thinking that the wind was similar. Could have been a bad trigger day but seemed like the 38.1gr load just did not want to group like the 38gr load. Same powder,primer, and lot of Varget.

2. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

I’ll send you a PM later since we have the same reamer

3. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

All the things listed could have affected the grouping of the 38.1 load. If you had those loaded since last year, add to the list some bonding in the neck between the bullet and case neck. If you have any of them left, try seating them about .010 deeper. If you feel a little "pop", that is the bullet turning loose from the neck.

Geno C likes this.
  4. barefooter56

barefooter56

CTK,
    The BERGER MANUAL shows , based on a COAL of 2.800in for the 6.5x47 LAPUA using our 6.5 130 VLD bullets:
    VARGET = START = 32.0gr. MAX= 35.8gr. APPROX Velocities= 2448 to 2700 FPS. APPROX Fill Ratio= 94%
    These loads are conservative and were generated using Quick Load. This load data can also be used for the BERGER 6.5 130gr AR/OTM Hunting/ Target bullet with no issues. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us at any time. Thanks for using Berger Bullets!

5. Longrange57

Longrange57

I have two different 6.5 x 47's....26 inch Kreiger barrels...8tw...they love the 130vld with 37.2 Varget. Both guns chrono about 2915-2920.
    450 primer...both shoot 1 inch groups at 300 jammed .015 as per Berger. Three different lots of Varget same results. I use other powders with 140's and 150's...but with 130's it's Varget!

6. CTK

I am hoping Varget works better for my rifle than H4350 and the 130VLD. I had a heck of a time getting consistent results. Strikes me as a super picky bullet if not jammed into the lands. Hoping Varget is secret sauce to tame this bullet. The VLD bullet may just be so sensitive to neck tension, seating depth, and load that it exposes the lack of precision in my reloading craft. I shot great groups with the 135 Classic Hunter but could not get it going too fast without pressure. Same for the 120 TTSX. Once again this is a hunting rifle with a 23" barrel. Not planning to jam into the lands. Hope I can get the VLD to shoot off of the lands. I had some fantastic results with the HVLD at very low pressures a couple of years ago. I have improved my technique a little and hope that can find an upper node that it likes. Thanks for the responses.

7. CTK

The 130 VLD bullet remains challenging for me to figure out. Shot 5 groups of 3 at 100y today with powder weight as the variable. Starting load of 37gr Varget put them into .17” hole out of a cold clean barrel. 37.2,and 37.5gr x2 opened up as much as an inch. 37.7gr closed to .46”. POI shift was as much as an inch different. This effort is toward a hunting load for this year. I could pick either the 37 or the 37.7 load, load 20 for the season, and click the scope to move POI to 1.75” high of center. This would be the easiest and most reasonable solution for my max 350y whitetail season. I did not chrono these loads. My notes from 2 years ago show that I got 2800 FPS. From 37.5gr Varget and the 130 VLD. The pointless perfectionist in me wants to reshoot the 37.7gr load and go up a few more gr. To see if I was at the beginning of a high node. 37.7gr Varget is already a pretty warm load. I saw no pressure signs but know I am well above book max. I wonder how much velocity I am gaining at 37.7or so gr. Above the 37gr load? My barrel is 23” 8tw.

8. Clancy

I’d be careful going any higher, but if it’s strictly a hunting rifle, and won’t be shot more than 350 yards, I’d just load up the 37s and forget about it.

It is strange to see the point of impact shift, I’ll give you that one.

As far as not wanting to jam, have you tried the 130 Hybrid? Lots of us hunt with them.

I’m picking up another Beanland in the morning. Can’t wait.

JBT likes this.
  9. Pigdog

Pigdog

10. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

No help with Varget but have you tried RL17? I use it with 130HVLDs in a 6.5x47 hunting rifle and found it easy to tune and consistent.

11. CTK

I will take a look at my RL 16 data and see what I have.

12. diving dave

diving dave

I'm new to the 6.5x47, currently I'm playing with loads and am getting an average of 2764 FPS with Berger 130 hybrids and 37.5 grns of varget..24 inch barrel. Some folks I know are getting closer to high 2800/2900 FPS with same bullet. Going to try going up in .2 grns to see if I can get the speed up....

13. CTK

I think H4350 will give you a little more velocity than Varget for same pressures. I did not see pressure at 37.7gr Varget and the 130 HVLD. This said, it is well above a book max load and the hybrid may have a little more bearing surface than the HVLD. I could not push the 135gr Berger Classic Hunter anywhere near as fast as the 130 HVLD.

14. kyreloader

kyreloader Gold $$ Contributor

If it makes you feel any better, my Fclass load with 140g JLKs was 37.7g for a velocity of 2910 fps from my 30” barrel. I had 20+ firings on those cases and never felt over pressure.

Not telling you to load higher, but you would be safe with my particular lot of Varget with the 130s going up a little.

15. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

My 23" gun gets 2820 with moly plated 130 VLD's with 37.5 grains of Varget.

My 26" gun gets 2910 with moly plated 130 VLD's with 38.0 grains of Varget.

My 28" gun gets 3010 with moly plated 130 VLD's with 39.5 grains of Varget.

The 1st two were built on 700's, the last with a Bat. All 3 shot the upper node real well, but showed pressure on the Remingtons, but not on the Bat.

The Bat gun I shot one case 12 times with the 39.5 load, and with only neck sizing, it never got tight in the chamber, and one finger bolt lift. It's also a 5R Bartlein, which can be known for letting you run a bit more powder

16. Clancy

I wouldn’t bother switching powders. I think a seating depth test is in order, but I always think that should be done first.

In this cartridge, I’ve found powder charge to be of little concern if seating depth is in order.

17. CTK

I tried the Berger book VLD seating depth test a couple of years ago. Ended up frustrated with the results. I do not begin to understand the physics of what makes one load shoot better than another. I have spent more time lately with testing powder weights and cautiously seeking the upper node for hunting. I fine tune seating depth if can find the node.

My son’s new Tikka youth 7mm-08 sprayed 120 ballistic tips at every powder load. I did not spend a whole lot of time on seating depths but the gun appeared to hate that bullet. I next tried the 120 Barnes TTSX at .040 off the lands and found a node under book max but more stout than I planned to load for my 9y old hunter. It shot just under .5” at 100y. He took an 8pt buck with it on youth weekend a week ago. He did not shoot this load off of the bench and tried it for the first time in the field. I asked him later if he noticed the recoil. He claims no memory of it even kicking but his “heart felt like it was going to jump out of him”

I wish that I understood the most time efficient way to get to a good load. It is almost magical when it all comes together. I am guessing that load development is harder with sporter weight barrels. I am done messing with this 6.5L if can get the 130 HVLD to shoot 2800fps into about 1/4” at 100y. This is a high standard for a 7lb hunting rifle but it will do it with other combos.

18. CTK

I will probably try up to 38 and see if I found the beginning of the upper node at 37.7. Thanks.

19. Yote Hunter

Yote Hunter

I have probably posted this before to you, but 39.0 gr Varget is where my 6.5 x 47 shot the best especially with the suppressor connected. My throat is chanbered ideally for the 140 gr HYBRIDS OF Berger so I may have a little more free bore. Went several tenths above And saw accuracy deteriorate but no obvious signs of pressure. 26” Krieger 8.5 twist at 3010 FPS.

20. Clancy

I don’t much care for the Berger seating depth test. Rather, I shoot them 5 in and 10,20,30 off before I ever start powder work.

I think that’s the most efficient way to find a good load. After that, just do a little powder work and you’re good to go.

I start my load development tomorrow on the new Beanland.