6.5x47 brass w/o annealing

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by CTK, Nov 13, 2018.

1. CTK

CTK Silver $$ Contributor

I have not seen a loose primer or split neck in approx 6 firings (6.5x47). Have been rotating 50 rds.I do not anneal. I see posts with up to 20 firings on this case. My loads are usually warm but free of any pressure signs. Assuming I never anneal, is there a reload count where it makes sense to toss visually perfect brass?

2. gilmillan1

gilmillan1

I gave up on annealing a 6.5 creedmoore, a 284 win, and a 300 wsm. I dont think its necessary. My neck tension is great.

Bc'z likes this.
  3. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

If you can deal with the difficult resizing, then I’d say keep them until the primer pockets get loose.

How much are you bumping the shoulder?

Looking out for a head separation is a good idea too.

4. Pigdog

Pigdog

I got one split neck on my 6.5x47l brass before I started annealing, necks are turned thin. I also have several cases with loose pockets couldn't tell you how many reloads they have on them I don't keep track.

5. CTK

I am bumping the shoulder about .002". Have absolutely no case lengthening over 6 or so firings. I will carefully look at the web area for head separation. I have 250 more new pieces of new brass. At some point I will just toss the 50 out of convenience.

6. CTK

I took your advice and carefully checked each web area. Had several with shiny rings and thin light colored rings. Guessing they would be fine but I tossed them out of an abundance of caution. I am going fire the remainder once more and move on. Got my money’s worth out of that 50 dollars worth of brass.

7. Borisserge

Borisserge

You may find that the brass will be good for many more firings.
    One of the guys here ran his brass for 20+ firings without annealing them.
    The rifle was used in bench rest and hunting.

How about chopping one piece in half (the worst one by inspection) and see how thin the web is. This should give you an idea of the lifespan left.

8. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

I was thinking 6 was pretty soon myself.