6.5x47 & 260 Lapua brass trimming

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by chrisj, Feb 11, 2018.

1. chrisj

chrisj Silver $$ Contributor

Just taking a little informal poll on how often 6.5 x 47 and 260 Lapua brass needs trimming.
    Thanks for your input

2. Prose

Prose

My 260 brass does about 1 to 2 thou per firing so maybe once over the course of it's life (~20 firings)

3. Cowtownup

Cowtownup Silver $$ Contributor

I rarely trim my 260 brass but I don’t run it real hot either.

4. buddy.223

buddy.223

i found my 47 brass actually shrank on first firing i shoot it 7 times then move it on never had to trim it

5. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac

I have 10 loads on 6.5x47 Lapua brass and haven’t trimmed yet.
    It’s similar to my 22-250AI, doesn’t require trimming as far as I can tell. Both are Lapua SR blue box.
    I also have some LR Winchester ww-super that I re-formed just get some loads started and haven’t had to trim either. Capacity is almost identical.

Cheers.
    :)

6. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

I trim my brass after every firing. Brass doesn't stretch uniformly so case mouths get out of perpendicular to case axis. Which doesn't help seating. After the first firing the amount of case growth is small but you can tell that they get touched by the cutter because the mouth edge is shiny.

Consistency is my goal to having low runout low ES/SD loads. This is just one step in the process.

David

Bc'z likes this.