6.5x284 bullet choice for deer

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Dusty Stevens, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

help me decide between the accubond 140 or the swift scirocco 130 for deer. Ive tried every other bullet out there i think with less than stellar results out past 400yds. If it was closer id be using a partition but out that far they shoot like a brick in my other calibers

2. seymour fish

seymour fish

Dusty, plain ballistic tip is generally all you need

Shep1 and Drop Port like this.
  3. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Have you given the 135 Berger classic hunters a try, if so what didnt you like about them?

barefooter56 and dedeadeye like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

I want a bonded bullet. The bergers were the second worst performers i have ever tried behind barnes tsx. Ballistic tips generally never make an exit wound like the berger. Both work fine for something like a coyote but i need a deer to bleed out both sides and immediately if they move. The eld-x killed 4 last year for me but they didnt bleed a drop until they fell at least 50yds into a thicket i have to crawl into. I dont want them to leave the trail

5. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Wondering why you didn't get good blood with eldx's.
    Were they quartering shots, or double lung broadside?
    I have to agree on balistic tips they basicly disintegrate, but kills em dead.

6. hawkeyeshoooer

hawkeyeshoooer

Tons of good bullets for what you're talking about. To what kind of ranges?

My .260 loves the 130 TSX, haven't tried the 120 TTSX as of yet. It also loves the 130 and 140 Bergers.

7. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac

Have you tried either the 129gr or 142gr ABLR Noslers?
    I have had very good success with them both on deer the size of your whitetail deer/mule deer.
    I also have used them on pigs/goats/foxes.

johnfred1965 likes this.
  8. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I'd give that 143 eldx a try. Haven't heard any complaints other than some guys guns don't shoot them as accurate as they'd like. They may shoot good for you.

9. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Dusty, just thinking out loud - both bullets you mentioned are pretty tough. I have no doubt you would get two holes but wonder if "on out there" they wouldn't pencil ? Never used either, but have heard complaints about the Swift. Maybe a good wetpack test at 400 would tell the tale. When I started hunting with a 300 blackout, I tested a lot of bullets this way to determine performance. Same problem, just at much less range and velocity of your 6.5.:D

Bc'z likes this.
  10. 6.5creed

6.5creed Gold $$ Contributor

My results with the eldx on antelope and deer last fall were dead right there!

I agree with you on the Bergers though, three years ago I pumped 3 of them into a whitetail before he laid down. All vital lung or heart shots. Every time I hit him he'd hump up and walk on.
    My youngest son had a very simular experience with them as well.

Bc'z likes this.
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

This will be our 1st year not shooting nosler for hunting. We've got 143eldx's loaded for 260, 6five, 178eldx in 06'.
    But I also have 260 Berger 185 vld hunters showing up Monday

12. 6.5creed

6.5creed Gold $$ Contributor

I picked up a 280 AI last winter that I plan on having a 150 ELD X load for this fall if I draw any tags. When I quit playing around with it IMR 4831 was showing pretty good accuracy at 2950

13. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

My first choice in 6.5 is the 130 gr Accubond. Shot them in 264 WM down to current 6.5x47L.

Gb300wm, Kermit in Va. and fastarget like this.
  14. fastarget

fastarget

+1, super accurate in my daughter's 6.5 creed hunting rifle, and excellent in the 264 wm.

15. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair Gold $$ Contributor

I just started using the barnes ttsx.
    I'm surprised you had bad results with the tsx one. my only experiance with a tsx was a 300 yard shot uphill hit right behind the shoulder and exited neck dropped and slid about 10 feet and that was it.
    Only that was from a 300 wm I think it was a 168 tsx.
    What happened with yours?

16. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair Gold $$ Contributor

I think the ttsx will expand even better at lower velocity.

17. TimS

TimS Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve used Nosler 120 ballistic tips on whitetails , mule deer and antelope out to 472 yards with great success.

seymour fish and Bc'z like this.
  18. hawkeyeshoooer

hawkeyeshoooer

All the 130 class Nosler, Hornady and Barnes bullets I have shot game with in my 6.5x284 have performed well on whitetails and mulies.

19. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

That's curious about the Berger's. I killed a lot of deer size animals (springbok) with 130 VLDs out of a 6.5-284 and 6.5x47 mostly between 300 and 500 yards and only one walked a few steps and that was a 698 yard shot. I don't remember any others that weren't DRT.

Ledd Slinger, timeout and Bc'z like this.
  20. Dusty Stevens

The tsx and ttsx seem to not expand at all at the long distances. The exit wound is the same as the entry wound and they do not bleed one drop

seymour fish likes this.