6.5CM Dies?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by northerndoc, Jul 11, 2018.

1. northerndoc

northerndoc

Getting ready to jump into 6.5CM. I have experience with Lapua brass in my .338 LM and really like the longevity/consistency. The issue I am concerned with is the small primer in Lapua brass vs large in Hornady. I wouldn't mind buying a few boxes of the match hornady ammo to start and then switching to Lapua after I get some time behind the gun and the barrel broken in. Are there any specific dies that are recommended that handle both brands well? Just wondering about the decapping aspect. I really like the efficiency of decapping while neck sizing rather than making a completely separate step. Buy large and small pins for whatever die set I end up with? Can I get away with a small pin for the large primers? Just looking for some feedback. Thanks

2. dreever

dreever

I use Whidden bushing die set. It can handle both size flash holes.

northerndoc and Milo 2.0 like this.
  3. LVLAaron

LVLAaron Silver $$ Contributor

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  4. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

I started out using Hornady brass before Lapua was out and I've been using my Redding type S dies in both cases large and small works really well. I removed the expander ball off the de-camping pin and I use a K&M expander mandrel. A lot more tuneable.

Bc'z likes this.
  5. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Is the expanding mandrel a must?

6. LVLAaron

LVLAaron Silver $$ Contributor

I actually do the same thing. Remove the expander ball, and use an expander mandrel as the very last step.

dogdude likes this.
  7. Puzzaz01

It's not a must but it's easier to feel what neck tension is going to be prior to seating a bullet and you can make fine adjustments with 1/2 thousands increments of the expanders offered. Just fine tuning, that's the difference from winning and losing.
    Just my 2 cents

Darrin

Bc'z likes this.
  8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I just tried sizing without expander button in place for the 1st time , .288 bushing seating force seemed less
    Mandrel Will help with coincentricty?

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  9. Puzzaz01

I also now use a .288 bushing. I used a .289 for about 9 reloads and I started loosing neck tension..... I don't anneal..... so I went down to a .288 and it's all fine again. All expanding is with a .2630 mandrel. I try to keep the seating force pressure about 65 psi.

Darrin

Bc'z likes this.
  10. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

No annealing preasure gauge here.
    Expander mandrel probably work better for truing tweeked necks on new brass over sizing die w/ button?

11. Tsu45

Tsu45

Y’all using the mandrel exclusively on new brass or for every loading? Do the various size expander balls from Whidden accomplish the same thing is far is dialing in neck tension?

12. McGraw

McGraw

I’m just a back pasture shooter. I use the basic Redding f/l die set, it came with the decapping pin small enough for the small flash holes. I have since put the Forster decapping unit in the Redding die, and it’s pin has even a smaller diameter. I can give you measurements if you want them.

13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I believe he's using on every loading, expander is claimed to get necks out of alignment.