6.5 X 55 Swede Possibilities

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by doninreno, Aug 13, 2019.

1. doninreno

doninreno Silver $$ Contributor

I have a couple of Swedes..one is an old Carl Gustaf that is the original 6.5 X 55mm Swede and is going to stay that way. The other is a modern gun (barrel is a Krieger, action Rem 700, trigger is a Timney, etc., etc.), so I'm calling that a 6.5 X 55mm SE or SCAN since it can easily handle modern pressures. The problem i have with that gun (and why I am asking this question) is that it was chambered as a regular old 6.5 X 55 SWEDE, which makes the free bore so long that I cant seat 136 -142- grain bullets far enough into the case to make me happy AND there seem to be NO BULLETS for the 6.5 that are heavy/long enough/high BC enough to be able to play with the seating---all of them wind up having a mile of jump if seated deeply enough to be "reliable". So, my question is two-fold-- One: Does anyone make a high BC bullet suitable to competitive shooting (maybe heavier BTHP or something similar)? and two...I'm kinda kicking around the idea of having a reamer cut that when one has a new barrel chambered, shortens up free bore (compared to the "standard" SWEDE and keeps the case the same as the "standard" SWEDE, but will allow me to seat (and experiment with seating depths) 136 to, say, 142 grain bullets, of which there are many offered....My goal here is to use standard 6.5 SWEDE brass, make it a "no turn" neck diameter and use/play with 136 to around 142 grain bullets (seating depths) while using STANDARD 6.5 X 55 SWEDE brass....so I want to leave the shoulder angle the same as the SWEDE.

Anyone have any knowledge/ideas/experience in this direction? Is there something out there that already has all this covered? (that is NOT a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5-.284 and NOT an "AI")?? What are your (ANY) thoughts???

TIA!!

2. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

260Rem, if you want to try a different chambering. Get a Match chamber if you want enough free bore to keep the powder capacity up for the 140 class bullets. A free bore in the Swede of around .020-.060 should get you there for what you want. My 260AI has a .140 freebore and I run 140s around -.020 with enough bullet shank in the neck to put the boat tail right above the donut if my brass get them.

3. Ringostar

Ringostar

The 142 Sierra and 139 Scenar will both shoot very well with a big jump.

Laurie likes this.
  4. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, you can get a standard 6.5 swede no neck turn reamer and the only modification is shorten the freebore down to about. .120" i shoot 6.5 creedmore with 100 grain match bullet's and my freebore is .090" and it works perfectly.

5. Rdlningcltchdmpr

.020"-.060" ? Wth ?

6. doninreno

How big is "BIG"?? from what I'm seeing if one trims to anywhere near the "Trim Length" for the SWEDE, it would have to be pretty "big".

7. doninreno

Sounds a lot like what I want..... would only have to specify the free bore. What diameter are you using for a "no turn"? Just asking because there is quite a range out there that is considered "no turn" and I can see the logic behind most of them.....What brass and how many "thou" once it is chambered? Who ground your reamer?

8. Exercion

Exercion

I have a 6.5x55 Remington 700/30" Pac-Nor rifle I shoot in F-class. While mine is a tight neck, there are 6.5x55 match reamers that cut a standard chamber with a throat length optimized for the 140 class bullets, I think PTG makes them if not others. Nice thing about the Swede case is that a shorter throat that will allow for you to chase the lands works pretty well because of the long neck they have.

Eric

9. hunter67

hunter67

have you shot it yet? What about the 156 berger? I shoot 140 SGK and 142 LRAB in mine with an original chamber and it shoots to half minute.

10. doninreno

Thanks for the info. I am looking at PT & G's website right now and it looks like this may be just what I'm looking for!!

BTW, how does it shoot? What loads does that rig like??

11. doninreno

Yes, I have shot it and it shoots OK...prints reasonable groups down around 1/2 MOA with the right load, just not what I'd settle for if I want to shoot it in F Class. BUT I am not comfy with the tiny bit of seating depth I get with it if I try to use bullets in the 136 - 142 range especially with the standard freebore that results in very shallow bullet seating depths into the cases.

12. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

Have you tried shooting it the way it is? The standard swede is probably one of the easiest to tune calibers in existence. As mentioned above the 142 Sierra Match King has no problem running in one. You may be pleasantly surprised by how it does.

wupterchook likes this.
  13. Ringostar

Ringostar

Are you familiar with the Berger VLD jump test? They recommend to test jump every .040 to start. Eg. .040, .080, .120 I would test them a little closer together to start. I’m just saying that bullets can still shoot very well with an 1/8” jump.

14. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

For short actions and magazine fed, that free bore would be better. Long action around .120-.160 will work.

15. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

The 156 Berger’s need a ton of free bore. Give them a try, they’ll fill it right up! And they’re easy to work with and insensitive to seating depth.

16. Rdlningcltchdmpr

A standard reamer 6.5 swede is a no neck turn. I don't know the number's but you don't need to know them, as it is a standard saami spec. reamer with only the freebore shortened. I use Lapua brass in all my guns. Clymer reamer's is who i use. They are here in s.e. michigan and they did my reamer in one day. Wow!

17. Leeman

Leeman

Or the Hornady ELD's, not sure about the 140 but the 147 will work in the longest free bore you could ever find

18. doninreno

Yeah, I have done some more checking around and reading this site, so I'm gonna load up some Hornady ELD-M 140 grainers to try out and see what that gets me. Will probably seat them in about 4 increments off the lands and see what that shows me.

19. DogBuster

DogBuster

my Swede as shown.....8 twist Pac Nor....28" long full cylinder...no turn

No throat chamber option...it only gets longer with use....Savage target action....

18# keeps recoil down.....slap steel at 1K yds with this badd boy.......:)

[​IMG]

20. doninreno

My .308 hits steel pretty easy at 1000 yards if the wind isn't blowing and even then it does OK if I dope the wind right, but I want this 6.5-55 to do it better and easier---especially if the wind is blowing. Was out with a couple of my buddies (both shooting 6.5 Creeds) yesterday doing gongs at 1000 and both of them were hitting the milk jug we had hanging in front of the 20" gong pretty consistently---granted, one of them is a way better shot than I am, but then there was a point there where I was working with 6 to 7 MOA windage to make good hits. They were NOT using so much! I'm hoping that the 6.5 X 55mm will help me out some with that problem.