6.5 PRC build?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by kris bassett, Jan 30, 2018.

1. kris bassett

kris bassett Silver $$ Contributor

Hey guys,gals

If you were going to build a 6.5 PRC, would you build off of a short action 2.94" mag length or a long action 3.78" mag length?

This will be a comp gun as well as my long range hunting rifle.

Thanks
    Kris

2. Larryh128

Larryh128

3. germanlongbow

germanlongbow Scott M Bainbridge

Short action. No problem fitting 130-150 grain bullets.

4. kris bassett

5. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

6. kris bassett

7. alf

I just had a 700 L/A done up with a reamer that I went to .200" freebore on, instead of the .1882".

Hard in the lands gave me 3.010" OAL with 147 ELD's, and 2.995" with 140 VLD's.

8. kris bassett

How is it performing?

9. kris bassett

I just watched a video on the new American rifle company magazines. I believe they said they measure 2.97"

10. alf

Pretty decent. 147 ELD's at 3000, 140 VLD's at 3125.

Next up is 150 Sierras when they get here......

muleystalker and Danny1788 like this.
  11. kris bassett

Well I went ahead and put the short action on order. I guess we will see how it goes. Looks like a very nice action .

12. muleystalker

muleystalker Gold $$ Contributor

Or a Mid length action like Borden makes

13. kris bassett

What barrel would you guys suggest? I will be shooting the 140-147 class Bullets. Maybe heavier if when the options show up.

This will be a prs/long range rifle in a MPA BA chassis. Also I shoot coated bullets.

Make?
    Twist?
    Rifling?
    Profile?
    Crown?
    Treatment?

Thanks
    Kris

14. fm1947

fm1947 Silver $$ Contributor

I been thinking of a creedmoor also I would go with a 7 twist shilen that action your talking about Nucleus will take a regular savage prefit from shilen, I been shooting those shilens a long time a good barrel, get the best one Select match, Bull Barrel, they come in target crown

15. kris bassett

Part of the reason for buying the Nucleus was because it takes Savage barrels. I think I'm going to add their quick change collar to it also.

boltfluter likes this.
  16. FrankG

FrankG

Twist? The 147's will fly in a 8 twist. If it was my gun I would go 1-7.5 twist.

Rifling? Style of rifling has for the most part nothing to do with accuracy and barrel life. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule.

Crown? Style of crown has nothing to do with accuracy. I've shot them all. Flat, 11 degree, stepped recess, sporter etc...what I do feel is important is a clean edge at the bore with no burr and perpendicular to the bore etc...also I cut a chamfer on the edge of the bore. I do believe it helps with the gas cutting effect and will help the crown last longer. A sharp flat edge doesn't hold up well and also will show cleaning damage much sooner from improper cleaning techniques in my opinion.

Treatment? In regards to what?

Profile? If a PRS style gun I would run a heavy palma or a med. palma as the lightest contour. It will help keep the weight down vs. a str. taper barrel.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

barefooter56 likes this.
  17. kris bassett

As far as rifling I know some clean easier, some don't distort the bullet as much. Everyone has their favorite just asking what people like .

For treatment I'm referring to process like cryo or Melonite nitrocarburizing

Kris

18. FrankG

FrankG

The 5R style rifling will distort and upset the bullet jacket less. I feel this does help fight bullet failure but I don't see a difference in accuracy or barrel life. The way I clean my barrels I don't see it cleaning any easier or faster etc....again with the style and number of grooves in terms of cleaning I don't see any real difference. shot everything from 2 groove, 4 groove, 5 groove, 5R, 6 and 8 groove barrels. We've even made 3 groove in the past and nothing there either.

Cryo and Melonite? I don't see them making a difference at all. We played a ton with Cryo. Melonite there are a lot of variables with it. Not done correctly and it can work against you. On the melonite if you get it done we won't cover any warranty in regards to it. I've also got quite a bit of data and feed back from ammo makers etc...in regards to barrel life, pressures being effected etc....so to me it's a variable that we cannot control. In one Gov't/Factory test I've got data where the barrels did last longer but it took the barrels up to a 1k rounds to shoot as good or better than the untreated barrels. This was in .338 Lapua. The treated barrels went like 700+ rounds longer in the test but you burned up 1k rounds of ammo and barrel life to get it to shoot better. So what did you gain?

Later, Frank

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    JBT likes this.
  19. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

The port on the original Mausingfield SA is pretty long, no clue on this new one, the concern here will be mag length.

20. ab_bentley

ab_bentley I fix stuff, sometimes.... Silver $$ Contributor

140s without trying, it'll work just fine in a SA
    received_10155338230712507.jpeg

slugger3 likes this.