6.5 Creedmor ejector mark question

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Lapua264, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I can't tell by your pic, even enlarging it I can't see much, an ejector mark would be closer to the edge if present.

2. Lapua264

Lapua264 Silver $$ Contributor

Can you see one on 43.4gr pic? It’s between number 6 and letter L

3. chop house

chop house Silver $$ Contributor

first, my apologies to the op: i am not wanting to hijack the thread but i have a situation that seems similar, yet not the same. I have, in 6.5 cm, sticky bolt lift and very faint case head swipe with no other visible or measured pressure signs. primer looks ok, chrono data is within reasonable tolerance of crosschecked/published data, datum measurements are consistent. recoil is stout but i have been shooting a lot of pd varmint rounds lately so that may simply be my perception. rifle is a stock 700 26" varmint bbl. brass is vaious headstamp from an earlier project... between 0 and 3 firings.

i did not finish the ladder, as i wanted to recheck/rethink the situation. I have a few candidates including hardened brass, overlength datum, bolt timing, rough chamber, wet chamber. since you are all directly on this topic, i am watching your replies here closely. thx.

4. Milo 2.0

I see that one, see, my 43.5 not sound advice, I'm kind of lost on pressure at 2725 though, honestly.

5. Milo 2.0

This is a 24" barrel?

6. Lapua264

Yes

7. Milo 2.0

What is your goal with the rifle, speeds, accuracy, etc... ? You could always find a diff powder if more speed is the goal.

8. Lapua264

The goal is to use it for prs matches. Of course accuracy is paramount but I like to be in the mid 2700s if I can. interestingly enough I always had good luck with accuracy at those velocities with various calibers. I might try reloder16, people are giving it good reviews plus it’s temp insensitive like h4350.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Start by separating by headstamp, different brass can have different volume. Same as new versus 2 or 3 times fired, different voloume.
    Check some of your brass n see if it chambers easy, if not bump shoulders back

10. 243winxb

243winxb

CAUTION: The following post includes loading info beyond currently published standards for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, Accurateshooter, nor the staff, assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I see something that looks like a shadow.
    If your brass is hard, it will take 76,000 PSI to form a mark from the ejector hole. This psi is way over the maximum working pressure of 63,000 for the cartridge.

With no pressure testing equipment, a handloader has to follow published loading data. When there is none, powder may be increased till pressure signs appear. Then reduce the powder charge to where the best accuracy was. The brass that showed pressure signs is now scrap. This method is safer in a Remington 700 type action.

If your action has a major gas leak, the extractor cut in the bolt face is the weak point. Imo.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/albums/high-pressure-signs.148/

Good luck. Be safe.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  11. 243winxb

243winxb

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. spife7980

spife7980 Silver $$ Contributor

You are getting marks on the 43.4 one, those are fairly clear but I would do all of this on it again once its become fire formed. You found your max for initial firing, load under that this first time. Im going to guess that these are growing a fair amount. Pop the primers out and measure the base to shoulders, base diameter, and shoulder diameters. Im going to guess that they are growing a good amount and its them slamming back thats giving you the marks. They should be larger on the second firing with more volume and you should be able to go a bit higher without the marks. I find a crude load real fast to form brass and then Ill do an actual load work up with it once fired.

Lapua264 and Bc'z like this.
  13. Lapua264

I will definitely try that.
    How do you keep track of those marks for each firing?

14. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I would make a mark with a sharpie on your on old ejector mark. Next firing compare previous mark with new if any.

Lapua264 likes this.
  15. spife7980

spife7980 Silver $$ Contributor

You see them before you load the shell, if it comes out with a second in a different spot you know.