6.5 Creedmoor problems

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by jvm, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jvm

jvm

Was sizing the 6.5 Creedmoor for the first time last nite. was using a Horned case gauge to set the shoulder back.

A few of the cases bent at the shoulder trying to make them fit in the Case gauge.

What happened?? did I get a short case gauge??

The cases were fired in that rifle.

Thanks

2. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy Silver $$ Contributor

You need a sizing die to resize the case and set the shoulder back. The case gauge is set to SAAMI specs and not custom fit to your rifles chamber. The loaded rounds should just drop into the case gauge without any resistance if they are sized properly

3. mrjdasr

mrjdasr Silver $$ Contributor

try cutting the horns off the gauge, bet it will help

Nature Boy, Bad Mojo and Bc'z like this.
  4. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

Are you talking about a Hornady Headspace comparator or something else ???

5. Conaso

Conaso

Pictures... PLEASE.

bda82 and dsinfour like this.
  6. jvm

jvm

I was using a Redding sizing die and a Hornady case gauge

7. dsinfour

dsinfour Silver $$ Contributor

The question here is whos brass are you using and try using a full length sizing die also if its a bushing die how much are you trying to size on the neck? Also a picture would help with the dies. More information would help... later

8. Dub

Dub Silver $$ Contributor

trying to size with a case gauge???

9. hambone1971

hambone1971 Silver $$ Contributor

The case gage is used to check your work after you resize your brass. here is Hornady's write up...

The Hornady 6.5mm Creedmoor Cartridge Gauge allows users to check their cases and loaded ammunition to ensure a correct fit in SAAMI chambers. Simply Slide your sized cases or loaded ammunition into the case gauge. If it sits flush your case is in spec. If the neck or base of the case protrudes your cartridge may need further sizing or is unusable.

I use one by Wilson and Hornady. The Wilson is a little larger than the Hornady inside. I had some problems with Alpha 6.5 brass that would not chamber in my Savage LRP even when the Wilson gage said they were OK. The Hornady said they were NOT OK. I got them to fit the Hornady gage and then they worked. It's just a brass checker no more. HB

SPJ likes this.
  10. M14AMU

M14AMU

Get a MOs gauge!!

11. mrjdasr

mrjdasr Silver $$ Contributor

would it not be a better idea to try in your rifle
    that is after all where it is supposed to fit

12. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

Were these case gauges the shcit before the headspace gauges and comparators were made for calipers? I mean I don't see a need for them when we have the ability to measure our own chamber and are bumping shoulders based on that measurement.

13. ryewhiskeybent

ryewhiskeybent Silver $$ Contributor

Case gauges are great for loading ammo to be used across multiple firearms (ensuring saami Min-Max).

Evlshnngns likes this.
  14. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

The gage is just that, a gage and not a sizing die. It is used to measure the cartridge dimension from base to shoulder and is a go, no-go measurement. It is not used to size a case. If that is what you are doing, please stop and find a mentor to help you learn how to proceed before you hurt yourself and possibly others.

There is a lot to learn, and much information available here.

Be patient, grasshopper.

15. M14AMU

M14AMU

The MO gauge is used basically to set the resize die such that the case is not over-sized! Drop a fired case into it and it can be read such as to know what the HS is!

16. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Do you have a reloading manual?
    Most reloading manuals have a step by step reloading process described in detail. I'd start there and see where in the process you deviated. It'll be faster than trying to figure out what to do on the internet.