6.5 Creedmoor powder/bullet combos to start load development?

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by CTK, Apr 4, 2019.

1. CTK

CTK Silver $$ Contributor

About to do 6.5 CM load development for a friend. I load for the 6.5x47. This will be a hunting rifle. Will use LR primers in Hornady brass. Rifle is a Howa HS Precision model. Ordered the dies and brass. Have not checked the mag well length or OAL at lands. Was thinking about starting with H4350 and 120-140g hunting bullets. Friend will not benefit from VLD type bullets. Will likely use 210M primers. Would listen to suggestions for powder/bullet combinations. I own most suitable Hodgdon powders. Temp sensitivity will matter as this will be an all season hunting gun.

Thanks!
    Craig

2. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

H4350 will be your best Hodgdon powder for near 130-140gr bullets and Varget may prove good at 120gr pills. ReLoder 16 is also excellent in 140's and likely down to 130gr. I would suggest a Berger 140 hunting VLD (even if he does not need a long range round) over H4350 or RL-16 and run it in the low 2700's for a 24-26" barrel. It will live a long and accurate life;).

LGKLAS, waterdog, Leo Smith and 2 others like this.
  3. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

H4831SC is another great choice.
    Start around 43.5 and work up I've got a nice load at 44.6 with cci200 hornady brass
    140 vld.
    Search secret Carolina load

the badger243, Ranger007, SPJ and 2 others like this.
  4. X-47B

X-47B X-III:XVI Gold $$ Contributor

I use, Berger 140 hybrids, (26414) with 40.5gr of H4350. With Hornady brass, 210m and now with lapua br4. I:8 twist barrel. Extremely accurate for me.

5. CTK

CTK Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the ideas. Wonder how a Howa in a stiff stock will shoot? If I can get it a tick under .75" consistently, I will call this a victory. Only factory rifle that I have loaded for in years is a Tikka 7mm-08. I got it to average under .5" but it took some doing.

Bc'z likes this.
  6. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Make sure the barrel is free floating. I would not be surprised if it capable of better than .75 MOA over 5 shots if properly held/rested.

Bc'z likes this.
  7. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Run an OCW test find the poi flat line then do seating test.
    Sounds easy right?
    I wish it was!

Boyd L. and WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot like this.
  8. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

143 ELD-X and IMR-4350 is great in mine. Also really likes Rl-17.

Just saw your comment on the VLD type. I've always had really good results with Hornady interlock and Nosler partitions in everything I've shot them in, they just seem to shoot really well regardless of how much jump you give them.

Also, I've never had a problem with powder temp sensitivity and hunting for "normal" 300yard and in distances.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    sbhooper likes this.
  9. sbhooper

sbhooper

Is this mainly going to be for deer, or maybe hogs? I really like the heavy bullets in my Creed, but I shoot nothing but 129 Interlocks in my .260s. They shoot as well as the fancy bullets for me and hammer deer.

ATFIV and Evan like this.
  10. RPR 6.5 slave

RPR 6.5 slave Gold $$ Contributor

You can also try RL-26, I have had great luck with it in my RPR running 140 gr. pills

11. dhamby

dhamby

Pick a 140gr bullet with H4350. Should find a node around 41.5 gr and another around 42.5gr. As always, work your way up watching for pressure signs.

STOMP442 likes this.
  12. wbm

wbm

I don't shoot "pills" but have had good results this week with H4895 and 123gr Hornady ELD-M bullets.

13. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Silver $$ Contributor

Hunting, hunting , hunting! There is only one best bullet and it is the 100 grain tipped triple shock. Barnes. Look at barnes load data for powder info. These will shoot half inch all day every day, better penetration at any angle, trajectory, no lead fragments and they can go through branches and twigs and saplings.

14. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Without deflecting?

Jet and Lone Hunter like this.
  15. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Any bullet can and will deflect but these will hold together not losing weight giving a much greater chance at success. I have made a clean kill shot but the buck ran , so i fired at him running . the bullet went right though a sapling and broke his neck. I also shot a couple coyote in thick swale saplings , droped them dead after ripping through the thicket.

Bc'z likes this.
  16. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

As hunters were guaranteed 1 thing.
    Imperfect shot opportunities!!
    I've had countless arrows on a collision course with an animal's demise, only to be swatted to the ground by a mere twig!

SRH78, DirtySteve, Texas10 and 2 others like this.
  17. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Sierra #1728 130 gr hpbt is a good all-a rounder, with no tips of any kind to worry about damaging.

18. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Lead particles or fragments in deer meat is not a problem untill it is ! Digesting lead can have bad side effects. If you have a choice between the chance or no chance , i would choose no chance of lead particles in my food. Just saying ! My buddy shot a buck right in the back strap spine with a barnes ttsx and the good thing is all we lost was approximately 2.5" of back strap without having to worry about lead particles in the rest.

Bc'z likes this.
  19. hunter67

hunter67

H4350 and 140 Accubond or 142 LRAB