500 Meter Fly Shoot ?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by R.Morehouse, Oct 9, 2017.

1. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I know i'm kind of late to the party. But after briefly educating myself on the Fly Shoot i like what i see. There is a range here in western Pa. that is set up in meters out to 500. I wouldn't mind seeing if we might be able to make it " fly " next year. I would like to put my hands on a batch of the 500m targets and can't seem to easily find them for sale on line. I think the matches up this way would have to be kept informal as to gun weight ect. But it really looks like it would be a HOOT. Please send me in a direction to buy targets............Thanks

Best Regards
    Rick

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    Rushty likes this.
  2. people

people

You can always make your own. Download a free target you like and modify it to suite your needs then have it printed off.

3. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft Gold $$ Contributor

I got permission from the Aussies to print their target to use here for Fly Shoots. You can't buy them from a supplier. They sent me 3 targets and I had it scanned and printed to size. I have a printer in College Station TX make them for me. I had the Fly Badges made by their supplier in Aus. and shipped here.
    My suggestion is to contact Les Fraser and Dave Groves in Aus. and talk to them about what you want to do.
    I asked for permission to hold Fly Shoots here out of respect to their 30 year history and tradition with Fly Shoots. I wanted to shoot the match just as they do over there so we could "compete" with them and we would have something to measure our success against.
    Next year our Shoots will all be postal matches with different clubs is Aus.
    Your range could be included in the postal matches also.
    There has been informal talks of what would be required of us to be sanctioned with the SSAA. Just something to think about for the future.
    There are lots of targets floating around Texas now after our first match, but I agreed not to send the target to other ranges or clubs without them (SSAA) being aware of it. They are very helpful and went as far as making international calls to me to answer questions and give advice. They also have a scoring program that is awesome.

There is nothing stopping you from making up a target and setting your own rules. I just found their target and rules to be what I was looking for in a long distance match and I wanted someone to compete against.
    I brought up the postal match idea and everyone here and there enjoyed it.

Email me at mike at cockcroftconstruction dot com and I will give you contact info if you choose to go that route. I will be glad to help any way I can.

Rushty likes this.
  4. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Mike
    Thanks for the heads up. I will be seeing a few of the guys that run the mentioned club this weekend and will gauge the interest. I will be in touch i'm sure.....Rick