5 more with son.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 5spd, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 5spd

5spd

We removed 5 more last night & had a good time when we can get out together.
    We watched them come in from 3 directions last night over the carcass we decided to watch.
    Wind was very low & good for us. Saw a 7 pack come in, then 4 more then a few singles. was pretty nice watching them all fight & or wait for the others to get their fill. This carcass has been decimated in the last 3 nights.
    Now from our spot we had cows & trees in the way and that was the best spot to have an open lane in. Cows finally moved out after chasing a few coyotes off the carcass, they stopped about 200 yards away, so that was good for us. Now these coyotes were all over the dead one, on top of it, inside of it, just all over. So we waited at least 15 min getting a pattern down and when 2 got side by side we fired, dropped 2 right there, they all lickity split in all directions, confused as to what just happened ( we are both suppressed) another stopped a few yards away turn & looked back and I dropped that one. 3 right there out of probably 8-10.
    After we waited 5 min we went down to collect them, the flashlights were on, talking loud and my sone moves his light and says, "Get your gun pops, a coyote just standing there looking at us". My son has the light in its face at maybe 40 yards. I get the AR up, standing behind my son I lay it on a branch then say move to the left and back next to me, he does and I see it and drop that one also.
    What a great night starting off.
    We drag them up to a fenceline I can drive back to get them.
    We had walked about 3/4 mile along this drainages from my truck.
    We go back 200 yards next to some trees, sit down to scan and 2 more are walking 100 yards in the drainage in front of us, 1 trots to far out, and I tell son shoot it, thwap drops another. We end up with 5 within maybe 1.5 hrs total. Head home.
    4 from carcass, top one was mangy, others had mange on legs, fur was still good though.
    [​IMG]
    Son with #5
    [​IMG][/url

17VLD, DNorton, WyleWD and 2 others like this.
  2. EBaker

EBaker

Great job....sounds like fun!

3. pwdrbrn

pwdrbrn

Been following your posts for a long while, and also shoot suppressed. After this post, what with all the target opportunity, I take it you don't go subsonic. Not sure of the range, but 100 yds or less, it would be a cake walk, I think. Not knowing all the conditions, please don't take this as a criticism, just a query. Thanks, Tom

4. JRS

JRS

Amazing:cool:

5. Babbylon44

Babbylon44

Great job so far. How did you manage them all? I am really interested to know. Because I would like to be a good hunter. And honestly, trying for this. :)

6. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

You sure make the difficult, easy.

Thanks for sharing your adventures.

7. 5spd

5spd

Correct I don't go subsonic as I do shoot from 50-400 yards at night. I may try some sub loads after they really start rubbing and the furs are not worth anything.

Babbylon44 likes this.
  8. Babbylon44

Babbylon44

You shoot from 50-400 yards away. But I think 400 yards is a long distance. I prefer to shoot from 50-200 yards.

9. 5spd

5spd

Nothing to it overall, just have to think like a coyote a lot. Play the winds/breezes as that what will get you busted, even them coming in to carcasses at night they don't get dumber as they still circle for a bit then usualy commit. I have to rotate my ranches so they don't get overly shot out in one spot, then never show up till months later.

Babbylon44 likes this.
  10. Babbylon44

Babbylon44

Thanks for explaining in details. Glad to know about the tips.

11. 5spd

5spd

Yea 300-400yds is a long night shot, I like them 150 yds or less, but theres always that one that will stay out there now & then, just like during day calling. Main reason I stay with my standard loads.

Babbylon44 likes this.
  12. Babbylon44

Babbylon44

Yeah, self help is the best help. If you are not confident enough while hunting. Then of course you'll not get success. And for night as you said 300-400 yards is a long distance. I also think that.

13. 5spd

5spd

I got these 2 right after dusk when I ran out for an hour to wind up the weekend. 1 a pretty mangey rat tail, the top one was nicely furred up.
    [​IMG]

allen529 likes this.