5.7x28 Vance

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by FJVance, Mar 29, 2020.

1. FJVance

FJVance Silver $$ Contributor

Was bored, and was spending time on the CNC Lathe, so I decided to shorten the 22 Hornet.
    While I was at it, I also added the shoulder. It still feeds from the magazine of the CZ527 into the Shilen barrel with a 40gr Sierra. And yes, subsonic with 1.7 grains of Accurate No.2 5.jpg

Toolbreaker, epc308, daleboy and 7 others like this.
  2. FJVance

I was able to use a boring bar to cut the chamber and full length sizing die.
    No Reamers.

3. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

That's cool man:D

4. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

Micro 100?

5. JSH

JSH

I got ticked the last mess with 22 rimfire and turned to the Hornet. I tinkered with loads and cast bullets, got mine to shoot well with 45 grain running about 1040.
    Traded into the CZ Hornet thinking I was moving up. None of my cast bullet loads would work. The stupid 1-16 twist would not stabilize anything but the standard Hornet type bullets. Got lucky and got my old rig back.
    Kinda like when you loose an old pair of shoes, new ones just don’t feel right.

epc308 and Adam in WI like this.
  6. FJVance

JSH, I rebarrel the 527’s fairly often. They shoot way better with a 14 twist. And a small muzzle brake to tell if the PD fell in the hole, or ran into the hole.

7. FJVance

Ramblerman, the boring bar is a single flute carbide.

Ramblerman likes this.
  8. F224

F224 Silver $$ Contributor

How is it superior to a straight 22RF when shooting subs?

9. FJVance

I can pick the bullet that gives more expansion and a more humane kill. Many of the 22lr bullets don’t expand and don’t create hydraulic shock. Yes, results will vary.

10. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I’m intrigued by the fact that you can load your on an control your own destiny so to speak. I loved shooting 22 rimfire, but I got tired of chasing ammo which is what drove me to reloading centerfire rifles. How accurate is this little round?

11. Nightraider

Nightraider Silver $$ Contributor

Congratulations, you made a 22 Mink.

12. FJVance

Nightraider, I don't know what a 22 Mink is, and thats probably good. The 22 Hornet has been around so long, that it has probably been shortened to every increment on the dial. To my original accomplishment of NOT using a reamer is personal and some machinist will agree. As to the plus that it will still feed in my CZ, and that it is easily subsonic, and that 22 Hornet is reloadable, and I have so many bullets to choose from with a 12 twist barrel, and, and,and,

I do thank you for the interest in the Hornet and any of the variations of the Hornet.

Mark W, the barrel is out of the scrap pile for testing my CNC lathe, the barrel is 12 twist from a Remington 700. The big end cut off and OD turned to .984 for the metric threads.
    Everything has been subsonic with every bullet I could put my hands on, ranging in weight from 40gr to 60gr. Powders have been tested with notes about burn rates, ease of measuring, and nasty residue.

The combination noted above has been enough to consider a new fresh barrel!

Ramblerman, thekriebles and Mark W like this.
  13. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like a fun cartridge that is useful,congrats on a fine feat with that boring bar . Sounds like an ideal pest control rig for my place, 22lr does most of what I need...but being able to choose my own bullet and charge would be a major bonus.

14. Nightraider

@FJVance 1.150" case length on the Mink, it'll push a 40gr bullet over 3k with Ramshot Enforcer. I've had one since 2008ish. I also used Alliant 300mp, AA2200, 1680, Trailboss, and a few others.

15. Nightraider

hw8nkDW_d.jpg

ROCKJAG4 and Evan like this.
  16. FJVance

Very cool.
    It’s amazing to look at other people’s work. There are more bullets on order, more powders to try.
    Thank you

17. lb-ft

lb-ft

@ FJVance, your work is admirable. Love it that, with excellent equipment and attention to detail, you completely sidestepped ‘the way it’s always been done’ by deleting the obligatory chamber reamer.

epc308 and Ramblerman like this.
  18. FJVance

Next project with a boring bar will be a 300 Blackout?

Ramblerman likes this.
  19. epc308

epc308

As much as anything else, I like the fact you weren't afraid to say F it, and try something different than many say can't or shouldn't be done. The added plus is that it works as planned. I did that/I made that, is a pretty satisfying feeling.

Mark W and Ramblerman like this.
  20. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe you could help me with my project ? It's the 30×33 kurz, parent case is 7.92×33 kurz necked .015" also you might like this cartridge better than the 300 B.O. ?