.473 Shell holder for SRP ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Baddog0302, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

With the option to use cases that take small rifle primers instead of Lg. rifle primers, does anyone offer a 308 size shell holder designed for small rifle primers ?? IE;something so a SRP is much more centered to the primer pocket ??

2. TrxR

TrxR

Not that ive seen. Im not sure how it would matter though?

3. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

I use a hand primer when loading SRP 260 brass. The guide for the ram is just a little thicker walled than the large primer. I believe that the hole in shell holders are all the same, anyway.

Mad_Charlie and Zero333 like this.
  4. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

What priming tool are you using ?
    TRX R, when using most priming tools , when the small priming ram enters the standard shell holder there is enough "slop" in that fit to allow the primer to get out of alignment with the case's primer pocket, allowing for misaligned primers to be forced into the primer pocket

5. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I am pretty sure this is correct.

You are complicating something that is not an issue. All priming tools are manufactured to do their work with either the large or small primer.
    There are many other aspects of precision reloading that one could concentrate on to improve their process.
    PS no, I do not weigh primers. :D

snakepit likes this.
  6. TrxR

TrxR

The priming tools i have here are the K&M hand primer and the primer setup on my big boss 2. Both of those have a larger piece that goes through the hole in the shell holder than hit the brass and a inner spring loaded piece that pushes the primer in. The outer piece is the same outside dimension for both small or large primer but the id of it matches up to the inner piece that pushes in the primer. So a smaller hole in the shell holder wouldnt work.

snakepit likes this.