47" Cleaning Rod for a Sako TRG 22 6.5 CM

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Mr. Ree, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Silver $$ Contributor

I have just acquired a Sako TRG-22 in 6.5 Creedmoor. The barrel is 26" long. The distance from the chamber face to the rear of the receiver is 6 inches. If I add a muzzle brake of 3+" that produces minimum distance that a cleaning rod must clear at 35+". If I use a guide (Mike Lucas') that is another 12". So now I need to clear 47"+.
    Who makes such a cleaning rod (preferably coated or carbon fiber)?

2. DukeDuke

DukeDuke

3. M995

M995 Silver $$ Contributor

You need a 41-42" rod.

4. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

The guide goes in the action and chamber. It doesn't add another 12" to the rear of the action.

Cleanin a rifle this morning and just measured it. With guide inserted in a large magnum action, with 26" barrel, and large 5 port muzzle brake, I'm at about 38". So any 40+" rod will work on your short action and I'm sure your muzzle brake won't be as large.

I personally really like the Tipton Carbon Fiber rods. Great ball bearings in the handles and they come in all sorts of lengths up to 50". When you buy a Tipton, the length you select is the "useable" rod length

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  5. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

Another suggestion...measure the over all length of the rifle and select the rod length accordingly. I do not use rod lengths that allow the rod handle to drag up onto the the rifle's butt. This will cause torque and flex on the rod which in turn can cause force of the jag against the muzzle crown. I prefer to keep the rod as concentric to the bore as possible. Some think, "oh, that aluminum or brass jag cant possibly cause damage to the barrel steel". That finely cut edge of the muzzle crown is more delicate than most imagine. If your riflestock platform allows to adjust for the handle clearance, your ahead of the game. My philosophy, a few more dollars buys many ounces of prevention.

6. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

7. Mr. Ree

Thanks. If I interpret your recommendation correctly, it appears to follow Bore Tech's "sizing" recommendation: measure the overall length of the rifle and select the next longest rod available. Looking at Bore Tech diagram that seems to make sense as it avoids interference with the cheek piece, accounts for the guide rod length, and keeps the rod centered in the bore.

8. Mr. Ree

Thanks for your input. The Tipton rods are a superior product, I agree. And Mike Lucas (the gentleman making my guide) shares your view that I don't need anything longer than 44 inches. I freely acknowledge my ignorance here, and you and he may be right, but without seeing the guide in place, given length of the barrel (w/o brake) plus the action (32"), I still am unable to envision how the handle on a 44" rod clears the cheek piece (so that it winds up between the cheek piece and action).

9. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

With an adjustable cheek piece, you may have to remove it for cleaning if it won't adjust low enough to allow clearance for the cleaning rod handle