450 Bushmaster 16 or 22 and recoil with and wo muzzle break

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by BobbyJ, Jul 9, 2018 at 9:03 AM.

1. BobbyJ

BobbyJ

We can't use centerfire to hunt deer, shotguns or bows. But they found a way around it with the straight walled 450 bushmaster.

I want one. Probably the new Ruger camo in 22"

I noticed they all come with muzzle brakes. I can't stand muzzle brakes because they make a loud gun even louder. I've never shot a bolt 450 BM but from what I have read on some forums is they kick a ton and need a brake.

I dunno if people are getting soft or what but I was shooting 12 gauge at age 10 and never have a brake on it. Never had one on any shotgun. Is it really needed?

Also 16" vs 22" barrel what are the pros and cons of each in the BM?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 1:36 AM
  2. rcparker1

rcparker1 Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot a .50 beowulf but my brother has a 450 Bushmaster. Recoil seems very similar to me, about like a 12 gauge with a good slug. He has made some impressive kills on hogs with it.

3. Gb300wm

Gb300wm

For hunting, I would go with the longer barrel. May not be much more velocity with this round, but it will help with recoil as it may weigh a little more. There’s a different brake on the longer rifle that may not be as loud as the one on the shorter one too.
    My thoughts. Both are nice rifles.

4. Park ranger

Park ranger

Just un thread it and get thread protectors

5. RampedRaptor

RampedRaptor Silver $$ Contributor

What’s the distance you anticipate getting your kills at?