416 Barrett freebore dimensions

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by MarcS, Jun 26, 2018.

1. MarcS

MarcS

I'm trying to figure out optimal freebore lengths with this cartridge for both Cutting Edge bullets that are single loaded and Barrett factory ammo that will run through a magazine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Marc Soulie
    Spartan Precision Rifles

2. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

FCD3F1B9-371F-4414-9156-AF4480BFE09B.jpeg
    Mark,

I’m a 416 Barrett shooter and I’ll try to help you. One thing, I have never shot any factory 416 Barrett ammo as I’m a hand loader. IF you can provide me an OAL Dimension for the factory rounds I can give you measurements for the following: Hornady 450 gr. Match (which is a discontinued bullet) the Lehigh 416 gr., the Cutting Edge 420 gr. Match H.P., and the 444 gr. Both MTAC and Match H.P.
    Keep in mind that Cutting Edge bullets have the “seal tight band” which is normally always seated outside the case mouth. Usually just above the case mouth. -

I am running a custom chamber in that my brass requires neck turning and (0.463 neck in my chamber so I’m neck turning to 0.0215 to have 0.002 clearance all the way around) - but that shouldn’t stop me from helping you as far as dimensions, and i’ll Check my data as I believe I may have the Barrett factory reamer drawing as well, which should list the free bore spec’s.

I have a few things to do and then I’ll send you a P.M. with some information.

Ron

3. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Marc,

I sent you a P.M. this evening. - Hopefully this helps, If not let me know specifically what you need information on & I'll do my best. - I have provided a Reamer Print & also some further insight from what I did on the 3 barrels I had chambered.

- Ron -

MarcS likes this.
  4. MarcS

MarcS

Thank you for your help!