4 Whitetails

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 5spd, Oct 15, 2018.

1. 5spd

5spd

1-buck, 3-doe.
    Shoot all the whitetails per the rancher.
    I had 4 tags to fill since he said last summer I need to remove no less than 3.
    Son & I were the only ones out today for the deer opener, good for us.
    We were in no great hurry to shoot & it was all spot & stalk today.
    Saw 3 6x6 bucks, the 9 other bucks we saw were smaller. Does running all over the creek lines.
    I drove along a 2 track on the north side so we could see the entire hayfields/pastures and after spotting a 6x6 big ol guy we got out and J hooked around it to get in front of it since it was feeding along a fenceline. Of course as we see it 7 does come running out from the sage and naturally he takes off across the pastures.
    He goes to the other side of the pastures about 900 yards & into the brush lined creek, so we head back to the truck and go to the south side 2 track and its 1/3 mile past that so the entire area is hidden from traffic.
    Stopped an talked to the rancher who said his cowboys are getting ready to ride a ways through those areas on horseback and we should get about 1/2 mile back down the road and wait in the pastures as he is sure the deer will run right into me.
    Yup this buck comes walking out of the creek lines and at 106 yards the 6x6.8 and 95g NHBT drops it in its track with a centered chest shot, not a big rack, but his body is giant. Does split out of there.
    After cleaning/skinning/tagging it my son says he lost his cell phone, he uses mine to ping it, says "pops its back on the N side 2 track".
    Head back to the other side and right as I stopped where we did earlier a young doe pops out and stands broadside in tall grasses. We are parked behind a 7' scrub brush tree. We get out and walk just till we see it through the brush. I lay my gun on sons shoulder and drop it at maybe 80 yards. 6x6.8 and 90g NHBT on this one. We drag it to the truck and while I clean it he finds his cell phone on the 2 track where he got out earlier, yeay!
    We scan the pastures again, drive another 500 yards and see Does all over across the pasture along the creek line about 700 yards out in 5 spots.
    We drop down into a low spot then walk the rest of the way to the closest ones with the tree/brush lined creek blocking their view and pop up 106 yards from them.
    They are unaware and now bedded down out of the wind as its about 17mph at this time. After about 10 min of them staying just inside the brush I hold my nose and blow a soft bleat 2x and 3 stand up looking our way, 1 is a big ol doe and I drop it with a 90g NHBT bullet, then my sons says theres another doe flopping next to it. Bullet fragments hit it after passing through the big ol doe.
    Its a pretty young doe. Well we didn't have to worry about the 4th tag now.
    Rancher was pretty happy and said get more tags...hahahah
    We have more than enough in the freezers at home.
    4 antelope/4 deer off this ranch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Opening day, no other hunters, skiff of snow, loads of deer, father/son hunt ... does it get any better than that? Thanks for sharing!

Geno C, MrMajestic and Dgd6mm like this.
  3. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

If it's not indiscreet to ask, what state was this in?
    -

4. Toby Bradshaw

5. brians356

Clever way to answer the question without answering it. Thanks! (And, that was my first guess. Seems the go-to state for open-country tags.)
    -

6. 5spd

5spd

^^^ good answer Toby.
    Not indiscrete at all, Yup in Wyoming.

7. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Unreal. For comparison I hunted muzzleloader for a week then the first day of rifle in Georgia. Saw two small bucks and maybe three does all that time. Did kill a doe with muzzleloader and glad I at least decided to take one shot.

Man you have a paradise. Keep on sharing the stories. Many of us need motivation.

8. clunker

clunker Silver $$ Contributor

I'm so jealous. In WA, you only get one buck, no does. And you probably see 20 does for every buck.

9. Toby Bradshaw

I live in WA but don't hunt deer here -- I drive to WY. I see more deer in an hour in WY than I see in a year in WA. I've never shot a buck, though -- strictly a meat hunter when it comes to venison.

mule deer brace Tacoma.JPG

The whole state of WY has fewer people than the city of Seattle, which is another huge plus for WY. Any state that has more pronghorn and deer than people must be doing something right.

population density map.jpg

snert likes this.
  10. brians356

Think of how inexpensive it is to mount a political campaign in WY, especially if you happen to be a Republican. ;)
    -

11. rudysts

rudysts Gold $$ Contributor

I to have been wanting to go to Wyoming. 3 species of deer to hunt in Washington and and only one tag, the 4th species is the Columbia white tail and that's off limits to all hunters (endangered). just don't know how to get the started wish I knew someone in Wyoming.

12. Toby Bradshaw

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting