375/408 Bolt for Bat M

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by SHANNON LEE KINCAID, Jan 20, 2018.

1. SHANNON LEE KINCAID

SHANNON LEE KINCAID

Has anyone ever built a Cheytac off of a Bat M....is it something that is unsafe in y'all's opinion

Thanks for any replies

Very Respectfully

2. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

The Barrel Tenon is to small on the Model "M" - Use the BAT Model "CT" or BAT Model "L" for Chey-Tac Case Head size. - I like the Model "L" because the Loading port is longer and will more easily accommodate the (Up to) 4.350" loaded round length encountered with these big rounds and the Tenon dia. & length are larger. - I have not done one on a Model CT action but if you go to BAT's web-site to the action configuration matrix link it shows what actions are compatible with what cartridges. - A Model "M" has a 1.125" Barrel Tenon, a Model CT has a 1.187 barrel Tenon. - That's the basic difference between the Model M & CT (And of course a larger barrel dia. is required for a Model CT) - A Model "M" requires a barrel that is 1.250 minimum (to have enough shoulder to fit up to the receiver ring area on the face of the action). - A Model CT requires a barrel that is 1.350 minimum (to have enough shoulder to fit up to the receiver ring area on the face of the action). - A Model "L" requires a barrel that is 1.450 minimum (to have enough shoulder to fit up to the receiver ring area on the face of the action). - The Model "L" uses a 1.250 dia. barrel Tenon and is longer in length than either a model "M" or "CT".

If money is available you could also have a Model EX set up for a Chey-Tac case head which is what I wish that I would have done. - The Model "L" is plenty big it's just that I wish the bolt was another 0.50 or even better 0.100 in diameter larger. A 0.630 dia case head is "big" needless to say and the bolts on the model "M", CT & "L" are 0.700 in diameter.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ron

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. Meangreen

Meangreen

I wonder if anyone has ever done a Savage type barrel nut on a BAT "L". With that arrangement you could use standard 1.25" straight tubes and fore go any contouring.

4. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

Not that I have ever heard of............. And to be quiet honest I can't see why and I'm not trying to be "snotty" about it. - I don't know what your experiences are but BAT actions are quiet precise straight from their facility in Post Falls, ID. - To me the "Barrel Nut" is not the most optimum way to set up a barrel & action and I have 6 Savage actions in service. 4 of them I'm using the Barrel Nut and 2 are "shouldered straight up to the recoil lug. - Both the Receiver ring face & both sides of the recoil lug are "trued" on the ones not using the barrel nut. - The benefit of course in the barrel nut is the ability to swap out barrels pretty quickly. But I don't see it being as precise as a regular barrel that has a shoulder that meets up with a trued receiver face. - And I don't see the barrel nut as something that I'd want to use on a Chey-Tac sized case build. - The Nut would need to be special made. A large shank Savage barrel runs at approx. 1.122 where it screws into the receiver & the barrel nut rides on this same threaded area. - not near big enough for a Chey-Tac case build. - The smallest dia. barrel I'd even consider using is 1.350 at the chamber end and a 1.187 dia. barrel Tenon (that the Model CT BAT action has).

Regards, Ron

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. Meangreen

Meangreen

The nut would of course be custom made. The benefit being, as you pointed out, that barrel swaps would be very quick. I would think much cheaper also. These big cartridges have a barrel life of about 1,000 rounds. That means if you shoot a lot, the custom size barrels get expensive, not to mention the added time (money) it takes to set up and accomplish the different machining operations to make them fit precisely.

Using standard size 1.25" barrels (1.25" being the major diameter of the BAT "L" action), you could buy them several at a time, they are MUCH cheaper, and the machining to thread and chamber is quicker. Downside is that People think the nut is ugly. I couldn't care less, whether it will shoot or not is all I care about. I don't have an answer for that question.

Someone I'm sure will pop up and say that "If you don't want to pay, then don't play this game". I don't mind spending money, what I hate is spending unnecessary money...and lots of it.

6. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

If you want to build one that way I'm not here to stand in your or anyone else's way.
    The cost difference between a 1.25 dia. barrel & one that is bigger (and more suitable for a Chey-Tac based cartridge IMO) is "small potatoes" in the grand scheme of doing one of these projects. Probably about 100 - 125 bucks for the larger diameter barrel based on what Krieger charged me for barrels that were over 1.250. - Finding a gunsmith who has experience building these type of rifles who is willing to do one with a barrel nut may be another story as well. - And I'm sure that the "custom" 1.250 dia. barrel nut is going to have some substantial cost associated with it's production. - And 1.25 is the Barrel Tenon dia. on a BAT Model "L" - Not the "major diameter" - The actions are offered in 1.65", 1.75" Octagon and 2.00" round sizes. (That's the major diameter)
    Lastly - I'm speaking from "real world" experience here in this thread on a real rifle that is chambered for 2 calibers that are wildcats based off the Chey-Tac case. - I'm going to say whether it's liked or not, there's a right way to build one of these guns. (If one expects it to perform at a reasonable level of accuracy).

dkhunt14 likes this.
  7. Meangreen

Meangreen

I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack. The fact that the windrunners themselves use a barrel nut got me thinking. To LA50SHOOTER, in machining terms the "major diameter" is the largest diameter portion of the threads themselves, irrespective of the diameter of the exterior of the action.

Good shooting to all.

8. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

Maybe that's how you perceive it........... - And Yes you hijacked the thread !!! - The OP asked if "Has anyone ever built a Cheytac off of a Bat M....is it something that is unsafe in y'all's opinion" - And I (Based on Real-World Experience and ownership of several BAT Model M & L actions) answered "Why" the Model "M" was not the appropriate action & Even referenced the Bat Action Model to Cartridge Matrix. As well as provided options in the way of the correct action(s) to select for the Chey-Tac cartridge case.

The major diameter of the Action is just exactly that, the diameter of the Receiver. - The major diameter of a barrel Tenon is the "peaks" of the threads. - Both are important in the case of the Chey-Tac cartridge and in the question that the OP originally posted.

9. Meangreen

Meangreen

Understood, in the future I shall endeavor to consider any and all commentary on your part to be considered definitive and final. :rolleyes:

10. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The problem with using the BAT M is the tenon is not big enough. It will yield from pressure and you will have extraction problems. The 408 case is a big diameter case and shoots a big load of powder. Matt

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  11. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

The sarcasm of your last post is not in keeping with Forum behavior Sir. - And has accomplished nothing except to possibly lessen your own stature among the readers.

- Just a suggestion if I may, Resist the urge to chime in on posts where you end up Hijacking the thread and not really contributing to the topic question. - Possibly review the thread on Forum Behavior.

- I came here back in 2010 as a member & before registering I read a lot of the posted information and I continued to do that for a long time after I registered. - I have less posts than you do and you joined 4 months ago.
    - I'm in No way saying that I'm better, smarter or more deserving to use the forum than you or anyone else. - And I realize that we all have opinions to varying degrees on a multitude of subjects & topics. - And we do not all interact in the same fashion.

- I didn't come here to fight or argue with anyone in the membership, I have way better things to do than that. - I spend a good deal of my time reading & not so much typing. - And yes, I see things I don't agree with and also a few attitudes that I feel could use some "adjustment".
    - I try to resist the urge to just jump in and turn things sideways. - And there has been a few times where I was not correct, I had to muster a little bit of humility and edit my previous post.

The intent of my reply to the OP was to provide factual information to them and any readers based on real knowledge & experience. - Nothing more.

- Take Care & Thank You - Ron

dkhunt14 likes this.