338 norma magnum vs 338 lapua

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by scooter, Mar 3, 2013.

1. scooter

scooter

Of these two calibers, which would be a better choice? Looking to build either of the two for a long range savage build.

2. barnesuser28

barnesuser28

If you want to feed from a mag then go norma, if single shot then 338 Lapua, i have a 338 Lapua and it is cramped by the 3.780 oal of my savage 110 fcp hs 338 LM mag.

3. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

338 Norma. It will feed from a standard magnum action with high BC bullets and give you almost identical performance as the 338 Lapua Mag. The designer of that round proved that he could duplicate the speeds of the 338 Lapua in identical barrel lengths, but was able to use a shorter action which helps reduce weight a good bit, thus making the rifle more mobile.

4. cliffe

cliffe

Neither one, if you are using the regular action a 338 rum or edge would be my choice. cliffe

5. ebb

ebb

What case was the 338 norma developed from? It looks in the pictures as to be bigger in Dia. than the lapua case. Is that the case or is it just the picture?

6. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

Its from the same case as the 338 lapua, the 416 rigby.

The 338 Norma is just shortened up and given less body taper to give it more capacity. The less amount of body taper is why it looks like it is wider than the 338 lapua, but they are both children of the 416 rigby.

Both cases have identical rim diameters, so they use the same bolt face as well.

7. BAT man

BAT man

Same diameter different shell holder, i have a 338 lapua along with two other calibers in a DTA SRS. I had a 300 norma built last year and would suggest you look at that along with a 230 grain berger hybrid going 2950+ fps. I think you will find it cheaper and up to the task.

8. wboggs

wboggs Gold $$ Contributor

What are the pros and cons of the of the 300 Norma vs. the 300RUM?

9. batsandowls

batsandowls

I would assume you can get more than 2950 from the 300 Norma....?

10. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

The Norma is a much shorter cartridge and will work in standard actions. The RUM will not.

11. Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Both cartridge is ballistically identical so you can't go wrong with either one. I will however favor the Lapua over the Norma because the Lapua brass is bit tougher than the Norma, therefore will last much longer. If I have to pay $2.50 each for a brass, I would like for it to last longer. I'm on my 12 firings now on the first 100 pieces of brass that I purchased when I first got my rifle. The brass is still going strong. Being acklyrized and annealed every 2 firings probably got a lot to do with it also.

12. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

They make forming dies if you want to make 338 Norma from Lapua brass, but of course that is a pain in the butt and a lot of extra time and expense.

13. BAT man

BAT man

2950 is where i ran the 230 berger without stressing the primer pockets a bunch, there was still some dialation involved. It was a warm load but not excessive, so to address your staement yes you can go faster if you wish but you will also find your brass being a one shot endeavor. I guess if you went through the labors and cost of forming lapua brass you may get away with it longer but run the numbers at 2950 and 3000 fps and see if you think its worth the time and expense. The 300 norma is a great one and am looking to have that added to my DTA platform. Also the 300 norma was running 2.00 a piece the last time i bought it and the lapua was 2.60.

14. snowpro440

snowpro440 Silver $$ Contributor

Go with the .338 Lapua Brass is much better .You could set your barrel up for zero freebore to fit your magazine with 300gr bullets an still achieving 2800-2900 fps in a 30" tube

15. batsandowls

batsandowls

I bet the 300 norma is more efficent than lapua...

Thanks for the info

16. BAT man

BAT man

It is more efficient, you have more room in the magazine to seat the bullets where they need to go, your burning around 85 grains of powder, and the bullets are less expensive.
    I have shot both past the 1900 mark on my range and you can miss with both on a bad wind /mirage call. Both are extremely accurate and feed well. The 338 lapua does put more energy on the taget at distance. Either way i think you will be impressed. If you want to read an article on the 300 norma, shooting times puts out a periodical called sniper, it was discussed in the first issue in detail with comparisons to the 300 win and the 338 lapua. On a side note. I would look at an action designed for the lapua/rigby cases ie surgeon badger, bat etc.

17. Drop Port

Drop Port

Of the two I feel the norma is a better designed cartridge. I've owned two, one on a Rem and currentl one is on a Pierce XL. After owning two and loading for several lapua I have found the Norma to be easier to tune with a huge sweet spot, a half grain or more up or down in both of mine shot same hole.
    The Lapua will give you few more FPS but not enough to worry about. If I wanted more speed I would go Lapua improved.
    In the standard lapua class cartidge i find the Norma hard to beat. Min body taper and 300 SMK seated out where it belongs with a 3.6" OAL whats not to like.

18. cliffe

cliffe

I measured the bolt face on my 338 edge savage that was originally a 300 rum. top to bottom measured .692" , so with the rum at .534 you have .158 divide by 2 = .079" per side. with the .588 Lapua or Norma you have .052". is that enough material left to safely hold the case?? just asking, cliffe

19. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

NO. Get a new Lapua bolt face from PTG. Not worth the risk when dealing with extremely high powered magnum cartridges.

And your bolt face would have to be opened up more than that. .588" is the rim diameter of the Rigby case, your bolt face has to be wider than that to reliably fit over the rim and extract the brass. Don't open that bolt face up, get the proper bolt head. They are cheap and very easy to swap out on a Savage.

20. cliffe

cliffe

I'll just stick with the 338 edge. works fine for me. thanks for the info BigDMT. cliffe