338 Lupua

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by Ironworker, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker

Ok I posted I have a 338-378 WBY Mag . If I was to re-barrel this to a 338 Lupua would I get better accuracy and longer bbl life ?

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Might get a little of both, but not enough to buy all the components and dies. Matt

3. wboggs

wboggs Gold $$ Contributor

Agree with above. Give up on it. If you want something for ultra range, go to a .375 or .408 cheytac. That should satisfy your urge for power. Be prepared to spend big$ but the performance with solid bullets is impressive.
    Bill

Ironworker likes this.
  4. Ironworker

Ironworker

OK so with current rifle,what level of accuracy should I be satisfied with ? 1 1/2 MOA ?

5. jmackey

jmackey

I’d recommend the Bryan Litz book. It suggests that the actual accuracy of a rifle, say 1/4 moa gun versus 3/4 moa gun, matters less than proper setup and wind estimates. Wind and actual distance to target seem to be my biggest challenges. A Kestrel and range finder may be as important as a good rifle for an unknown target.

6. wboggs

wboggs Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know the barrel make and freebore but I think you could better 1.5moa with handloads tailored to your barrel. It will be expensive and time consuming. What are you planning on.using the rifle for? Hunting, I hope. It will never make it as a target rifle.
    Bill

7. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

wboggs,

didn't somebody win the Ko2M with one a couple years ago...? IMHO, the term "target rifle" needs to reflect the type of competition as opposed to a blanket designation. This guy's 338LM is going to be a lot more competitive than a 6PPC at 2 miles.

8. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I don't consider the KO2M a BR type event. Totally different guns and equipment. I also don't think his Weatherby rifle is going to be a target rifle, no matter what chamber he uses. Matt

9. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Silver $$ Contributor

Listen up. It's almost always the loads responsible for that bad accuracy. 95% of the time it's the wrong powder and wrong amount. I can take the best match rifle and make it shoot horrible with bad loads. I see this all the time. If you want to get more info pm me.

10. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

dkhunt14,

the OP did not use the words "BR type event" or "target rifle". You are alone in reading it in. Read it again: "would I get better accuracy and longer barrel life..." You are dancing around the OP's question. He just needs to hear the word "Yes" or "No". He also did not use the words cost effective.

Did someone win the Ko2M with a 338 LM?

Stay on task...;)

11. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Then why bring up the KO2M? I can tell you from shooting match guns at 1000, neither one has an advantage over the other. Barrel life a hair better with Lapua. I answered that on my first post. Matt

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    dragman and rfurman24 like this.