338 Lapua/Berger 300 OTM/RL33

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by D.Stone, Aug 26, 2019.

1. cuznguido

cuznguido Gold $$ Contributor

I have tried US869. It is fine for routine shooting but really believe if my 26 inch barrel was a bit longer it might have been better. I am not skilled enough to really know why but it just doesnt seem to have the consistent accuracy of some others.

2. hambone1971

hambone1971

D. Stone are you up in Alaska? I spent a few years there and it all looks very familiar. My Savage 112 likes 96,7 g RL33, Lapua Brass, Sierra 300g MK and I'm in a node. All your photos bring back memories. Thanks... HB

D.Stone likes this.
  3. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Great experience sharing with your setup. Appreciate all of it. Pretty impressive numbers for the round with 300 grain bullets. Look more like the improved Lapua version. No need for improving that cartridge with numbers like that. Thanks again for sharing

4. dibbs

dibbs Silver $$ Contributor

Building on this thread, I have heard that the 300 grain MK do not transition well to transonic. The Nosler 300 grain CC have, what appears to be , a very similar profile.

Does anyone have experience with these bullets when they go transonic?

How about the 285 Hornady, and 300 grain Berger OTM's?

5. D.Stone

D.Stone

Yep. Smack dab middle of the state.

6. D.Stone

D.Stone

No idea. I have fired mine out to just shy of a mile with good results. I had better luck in the wind with the 300 Berger compared to another gentleman that was shooting 285 Hornady bullets, but I was also being a little more aggressive on my wind calls as well.

7. hambone1971

hambone1971

Those shooting benches look very familiar to me. I haven't shot off them in 20 years now if they are the same ones. Back then they had a roof over them. All this was down at then end of South Cushman St. if it is the same place just off the big T. River.

8. Esoteric Junkie

Esoteric Junkie

Dibbs,
    Yes, I have a little experience with the 300gr SMK's in the subsonic zone. The 300SMK transitions with no issues. Don't believe what you hear.
    EJ

birdog likes this.