338-378 Weatherby on 1 x 16 barrel Tenon?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by dakor, Jan 19, 2020.

1. dakor

dakor

Long Story short is a 1 x 16 thread pitch Standard Magnum Montana Rifle Co Action big enough to handle a 338-378 Weatherby case?

The action was opend up for that boltface Not by me and I have a customer that wants to use it. I do not feel it is safe at all myself and have stated this to them. But I said I would get some other opinions.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Go with your first instinct. I wouldnt do it. I wont do a lapua on a remington and i feel its way stronger than those montanas.

MDSpencer and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  3. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

The Minimum Tenon Diameter that I'd consider using for that cartridge is 1.125 (Bat model M or bigger).
    The small tenon will expand under pressure during firing and the brass will most likely not fit the chamber after the second firing.

- Ron -

DaveTooley likes this.
  4. boltfluter

boltfluter

I would not even consider doing this. When in doubt, always error on side of caution. :D:D

Paul

5. RWO

RWO

Why don't you ask Montana? They sell their rifles chambered for all the big magnums including 378 Weatherby.

RWO

MDSpencer likes this.
  6. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

I built a 338 Lapua on a Ruger #1. Same 1"x 16tpi tenon. I have had no issues with it.

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No question it can be done... but should it? If it goes bad since you put the barrel on it what kind of liability would montana have? I just seen pics of a blown up 22-250 this morning. Its well thought that a remington 700 can handle a 22-250 (and its a beefier action)

MDSpencer and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  8. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they did something they shouldn't have done.

DickE, shortgrass and Dusty Stevens like this.
  9. dakor

dakor

I wont be doing it I already let him know that before I even posted this. I just wanted some others to give their opinions so I can show him this post as he was told it would work. Thank you for sharing your opinions.

I suggestad he get a stiller or defiance that is made for the lapua type rounds.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Dusty Stevens likes this.