30cal Berger 180gr elite hunter

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Chris Roland, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Chris Roland

Chris Roland

Working on a 300wsm and was wondering how these bullets tune compared to the 185gr classic hunters.
    I have rl17, rl17, rl22, n160, n550, h4350, h4831sc.
    Going to try all powders, just trying to decide which bullet to go with. It's a factory browning A-bolt with boss.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. barefooter56

barefooter56

Chris,
    The big difference is going to be magazine fit. The CLASSIC HUNTER bullets are designed to be used at the standard magazine length (COAL) of the cartridge you are loading for. These bullets are also a HYBRID design which makes them very tolerant of jump and they have a SAAMI length nose dimension for bullets that are used at magazine length. The ELITE HUNTER bullets are also a HYBRID design BUT they have an over SAMMI length nose dimension like our VLD bullets that give them the better BC . Downside of this is that because of the nose length they do not play well with magazines. Especially magazines in short/medium action rifles. So its going to come down to how much being able to use the magazine of the rifle means to you. The .30 caliber 185GR CLASSIC HUNTER bullet will use the same load data as the .30 caliber 185gr VLD bullet if you have the BERGER RELOADING MANUAL. If you dont please contact us at techsupport@bergerbullets.com and we can help you with load data.
    Take care,

3. EOD350

EOD350 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a buddy that loaded the elite hunters in his .308 in front of Varget, they were impressive to say the least. I say his ES on the chrono and it was a 2. I know other things play a role in that reading as well. I loaded them in a 300wm and they hammered out to 600. I am going to try them in a 308 very soon as well. I can only hope they do as well as his did.

4. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Short story.

300 WSM = H4350.

The end.

Tod

dkhunt14 and WAMBO like this.