30br dies?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by TrxR, Dec 3, 2018.

1. TrxR

TrxR

Thinking about a 30br for local club 100yd benchrest matches and was wondering what you competition guys use for dies? Also what you reloading process is for the 30br?

Is something like a full length bushing die acceptable ? Or should something else be used?

Thanks.

2. Rodney

Rodney Silver $$ Contributor

I use a Harrell’s bushing die. Most guys I shoot with do also. Just send them three pieces of brass fired three times in your chamber and he’ll send you a custom die. Reasonably priced too.

3. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Listen to Rodney! Harrell's is the best deal going.

vahena likes this.
  4. TrxR

TrxR

So these three cases do you just neck size them after the first firings?

5. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

That’s all, do not FL size. You may not even have to do that. Neck tension may be next to nothing by 3rd firing but it doesn’t matter.

Toby Bradshaw likes this.
  6. P1ZombieKiller

P1ZombieKiller Gold $$ Contributor

IMO... Harrell's for sizing (I used .003-.004 neck tension on bushing) and Wilson inline seater (with micrometer top) for seating.

tenring, Rodney and jimmymac like this.
  7. Rodney

Just size them like normal until the third firing. Then throw them in a box and mail them off. I’m thinking by three firings the shoulder has fully formed and they can get a very accurate replication of your chamber dimensions. Trust me, you’ll get just what you’re looking for.

8. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

iIf the above means to full length size the cases, I wouldn’t do it that way. The goal when you send cases off is to provide fired brass that most closely resembles your chamber. The best way to do that is to neck size only and leave the case body alone.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    tmwinds likes this.
  9. WillyTP

WillyTP FBBW Gold $$ Contributor

IMHO, the Whidden 30BR https://www.whiddengunworks.com/prod...eloading-dies/ has always worked well with any of mine. Harrell’s is another great choice if you can get some fired cases to them. Both are great folks to deal with and will help in anyway they can.

As far as setting it up, I want the bolt to just fall shut on a resized piece of brass. If you make up 100 good pieces you’ll likely rebarrel that rifle before the brass goes bad. About the only way I’ve killed 30BR brass is letting it fall off the bench and stepping on it when try to find it. Good luck and keep us posted, everyone here is willing to help.

jimmymac and AndyTaber like this.
  10. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

How do you get three pieces of brass fired three times if you don't have a sizing die to begin with?

11. Cory porter

Cory porter Silver $$ Contributor

I just got my first 30br. Considering Harrell’s also and wondered the same thing.

12. TrxR

TrxR

in my situation i do know a couple of people i could borrow a neck die from. I figure i could could go to the range and with 3 or 4 loaded cases then reload them there a couple of times . I figure i could weigh out the powder at home into some viles then take a press with me.

If using lapua brass what neck thickness do you guys turn to?

13. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

So the loaded round measures .003" under the neck size in YOUR chamber.
    The case should fit in the chamber after the first and second firings fine, after third shot send case in as is. spent primer and all.

oldduc likes this.
  14. TrxR

TrxR

is tthe bullet seater specific to the 30br or is it the same as a 308? Would my 308 forster micrometer seater die work? Im thinking not as the parent case is different ?

But will the same expander, turning mandrel a cutter work on both the 30br and 308?

15. Rodney

My chamber has a .330 neck, which seems to be the standard with the group that I shoot with. As a result, my necks are turned to .010 which gives me a .002 clearance. I'm new to this game, still a rookie, so I follow the advice of my fellow shooters. They have not steered me wrong thus far so I've continued to follow there advice. A fellow shooting buddy had a Harrell's die who helped me to get my fired cases so that I could send them in and get my own die. His die worked fine for the purpose I was trying for. That's how I got set up and I'm sure there are other methods better than how I did it. My die works perfectly and I am glad I went with Harrell's, but I'm sure Whidden's dies are great to. Just comes down to personal preference I guess. If you go to a match or two I'm sure someone there can help you out just as they did for me. Most guys will bend over backwards to help out a new shooter trying to get started. Best of luck to you and maybe I'll see you at the line one day.

16. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Just put the bullet in the case and shoot it. No sizing necessary.

tmwinds and mr.big like this.
  17. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

30 Caliber is 30 caliber as far as expander mandrels and turning arbors are concerned. 30 BR has a 30° neck/shoulder junction so if your cutter is for 30 degrees you are good to go.

18. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

With a tight chamber, you can put the bullet int he case without neck sizing. And it takes a few firings before the body gets you into trouble.

oldduc likes this.
  19. P1ZombieKiller

Cory,

If you have a .330 neck 30br (most are) and you turn your brass to .0096 - .010, all you need to do is fire it.... deprime it.... load it... fire it.... deprime it.... load it... fire it... and there ya go. I have a couple extra Wilson Seaters, I will be glad to send ya one to get ya started. Just send me a PM, and I will be glad to help ya through it.

jimmymac likes this.
  20. P1ZombieKiller

TRX.... sorry about that.... this is your thread... the offer stands for you too..... I will be glad to send you an extra seater and/or Harrels sizing die for you to borrow to get your fired cases.

tmwinds, jimmymac and ckaberna like this.